Student vehicles involved in city-wide car thefts

Home City News Student vehicles involved in city-wide car thefts
The Hillsdale Police Department responded to 21 complaints of vehicle break-ins over a seven-day period starting Tuesday, Oct. 29. Julia Mullins | Collegian

The Hillsdale Police Department responded to 21 complaints of vehicle thefts over a seven-day period starting Tuesday, Oct. 29, according to Hillsdale City Chief of Police Scott Hephner. The individual or individuals responsible have yet to be found.

Hephner said the majority of complaints were made within a 72-hour period, and all of the vehicles were reported to have been unlocked. No arrests have been made, but Hephner said this is an on going investigation. 

“Our detective has been checking with businesses for potential video of subjects out during the night; however, we do not have anything of quality at this time.” Hephner said in an email.

Hillsdale College junior Megan Kerr’s car, parked on Hillsdale Street, was broken into. 

Hers was the only one in a line of cars outside of Waterman Dormitory that was affected. Kerr said her car was unlocked because she does not leave any valuables in it.

“I usually don’t lock my car, because I’ve never in my three years here felt the need to lock my car,” Kerr said.

On Oct. 29, Kerr noticed that the light was on in her car but didn’t know why. 

Her head resident assistant offered to turn it off for her. 

It wasn’t until the next evening when Kerr realized her car had been broken into. The thief had left the car door open, so her battery was almost dead. The thief had also disheveled the car.

“I saw my car just completely trashed; things were everywhere,” Kerr said. “Things were completely sorted through. My glove compartment was completely torn apart. It was very startling to come across.”

Despite the mess, the only thing Kerr recognized to be stolen was her chapstick.

“Of all the things they could have stolen, they stole my chapstick,” Kerr said.

Because nothing of importance was stolen, Kerr did not report the break-in to the police.

Hillsdale College Campus Security said it urges people to keep their car doors locked and be aware of the situation. 

“Watch your cars. The ones that are locked aren’t being messed with, so keep them locked,” Hillsdale College Security Officer Pat Calligan said.