Reading and Hillsdale high school’s football teams advance to regional round

Home City News Reading and Hillsdale high school’s football teams advance to regional round
The Reading High School Football team celebrates its victory as Crossover Champions with its win over Addison. | Facebook

Reading High School

The Reading High School Rangers defeated the Ross Beatty (Cassopolis) High School Rangers in the district round of the Michigan High School Athletic Association football playoffs last Friday night, 28-6. Reading, a member of Division 8 in Michigan, is now 10-1 on the season. 

Reading went a perfect 14-0 last season en route to its first state championship in program history.

“Our tradition in football is very strong,” Reading Athletic Director Mitch Hubbard said. “The town has a buzz and excitement to it. We’re kind of used to the playoffs here.”

Reading will host the Adrian Lenawee Christian High School Cougars, who are also 10-1 on the season, this Friday at 7 p.m. in the regional round in its quest to repeat. The Cougars have won nine games in a row since beginning their season 1-1, and Reading has won its last 10 games after losing its first game of the season on Aug. 29. 

In its 10 wins this season, Reading has outscored its opponents 477-44. Adrian Lenawee Christian will bring a similarly dominant resume to the turf on Friday night, as it has outscored its opponents in its ten wins this year 488-34.

“We’re a hard-nosed football team. We’re gonna come at you, and teams know that,” Hubbard said. “It’s just how we play. We play hard.”

Should Reading win this Friday in the regional round, it would advance to the state semifinal round of the playoffs next weekend. The two winners of that round in Division 8 would then play for the state championship at Ford Field in Detroit on Nov. 29 at 10 a.m., where Reading won the state championship last year.

“The whole team this year was at that game last year. They’ve all played at Ford Field,” Hubbard said. “We’re excited about it, and we’re ready to repeat. That’s been our goal since day one.”

Hillsdale High School 

The Hillsdale High School Hornets remained undefeated on the season after beating the Constantine High School Falcons in the District round of the Michigan High School Athletic Association football playoffs last Friday night, 20-14. The Hornets improved to 11-0 with the win and will play in the regional round for Division 6 this Friday.

The Hornets will host the Onsted High School Wildcats in Friday’s regional game. The Wildcats are 9-2 this season after also winning last weekend in the district round. Kickoff on Friday at Hillsdale’s Baumgarten Stadium is at 7 p.m.