The Reading High School Football team cel­e­brates its victory as Crossover Cham­pions with its win over Addison. | Facebook

Reading High School

The Reading High School Rangers defeated the Ross Beatty (Cas­sopolis) High School Rangers in the dis­trict round of the Michigan High School Ath­letic Asso­ci­ation football playoffs last Friday night, 28 – 6. Reading, a member of Division 8 in Michigan, is now 10 – 1 on the season. 

Reading went a perfect 14 – 0 last season en route to its first state cham­pi­onship in program history.

“Our tra­dition in football is very strong,” Reading Ath­letic Director Mitch Hubbard said. “The town has a buzz and excitement to it. We’re kind of used to the playoffs here.”

Reading will host the Adrian Lenawee Christian High School Cougars, who are also 10 – 1 on the season, this Friday at 7 p.m. in the regional round in its quest to repeat. The Cougars have won nine games in a row since beginning their season 1 – 1, and Reading has won its last 10 games after losing its first game of the season on Aug. 29. 

In its 10 wins this season, Reading has outscored its oppo­nents 477 – 44. Adrian Lenawee Christian will bring a sim­i­larly dom­inant resume to the turf on Friday night, as it has outscored its oppo­nents in its ten wins this year 488 – 34.

“We’re a hard-nosed football team. We’re gonna come at you, and teams know that,” Hubbard said. “It’s just how we play. We play hard.”

Should Reading win this Friday in the regional round, it would advance to the state semi­final round of the playoffs next weekend. The two winners of that round in Division 8 would then play for the state cham­pi­onship at Ford Field in Detroit on Nov. 29 at 10 a.m., where Reading won the state cham­pi­onship last year.

“The whole team this year was at that game last year. They’ve all played at Ford Field,” Hubbard said. “We’re excited about it, and we’re ready to repeat. That’s been our goal since day one.”

Hillsdale High School 

The Hillsdale High School Hornets remained unde­feated on the season after beating the Con­stantine High School Falcons in the Dis­trict round of the Michigan High School Ath­letic Asso­ci­ation football playoffs last Friday night, 20 – 14. The Hornets improved to 11 – 0 with the win and will play in the regional round for Division 6 this Friday.

The Hornets will host the Onsted High School Wildcats in Friday’s regional game. The Wildcats are 9 – 2 this season after also winning last weekend in the dis­trict round. Kickoff on Friday at Hillsdale’s Baum­garten Stadium is at 7 p.m.

Previous articleLegalizing marijuana: one year later
Next articleBookstore to hold canned food drive
Avatar
Nathan is a junior at Hillsdale College studying Rhetoric and Public Address and Journalism. He is Sports Editor and beat reporter for the Football, Women's Basketball, and Baseball teams for the Hillsdale Collegian. When he's not watching or writing about sports, Nathan enjoys playing organ and singing. Originally from St. Louis Missouri, Nathan now lives in Fort Wayne, Indiana. You can follow Nathan on twitter @nategrime or Hillsdale Collegian Sports at @HDaleSports.