Christ Chapel was set to hold a con­vo­cation for the first time, as faculty, stu­dents, and others pre­pared to honor aca­demic achievement as well as several special guests on Thursday.

The all-school average GPA for the 2019 spring semester was 3.399. The all-women’s GPA was 3.486, while the all-men’s was 3.317. Pi Beta Phi earned the Greek schol­arship cup for soror­ities with a 3.520 GPA, while Alpha Tau Omega won for the fra­ter­nities, with a 3.302 GPA.

Assistant Pro­fessor of German Stephen Naumann was chosen to receive the Daugherty Award for Teaching Excel­lence at the event. 

“Dr. Naumann has con­sis­tently demon­strated the fea­tures of teaching excel­lence that the Daugherty Award was created to cel­e­brate,” Dean of Faculty and Pro­fessor of History Mark Kalthoff said in an email. “Those fea­tures include out­standing classroom teaching, con­sci­en­tious student advising, notable col­le­giality, rig­orous schol­arship, and engagement in campus life beyond the classroom. Dr. Naumann’s excel­lence has been clear in all of these areas.”

Guests invited to the cer­emony included local business leaders and the women com­mis­sioners, as well as con­tractors who worked on the chapel and chief architect Duncan Stroik and his wife, Ruth. 

The main scheduled speaker was Michael Ward, senior research fellow at Black­friars Hall, Uni­versity of Oxford. Ward delivered the college’s com­mencement address in 2015 and par­tic­i­pated in the college’s online course on C.S. Lewis. He is the author of “Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imag­i­nation of C.S. Lewis” and serves as pro­fessor of apolo­getics at Houston Baptist Uni­versity.