Maggie Anne’s Shoppe on N. Howell Street in downtown Hillsdale is one of the several busi­nesses par­tic­i­pating in this year’s Small Business Sat­urday. Julia Mullins | Collegian

With the hol­idays quickly approaching, Hillsdale’s local busi­nesses are preparing gifts and dis­counts for their cus­tomers on Small Business Sat­urday, which will take place on Nov. 30.

Small Business Sat­urday is an event that was created by American Express in 2010. By 2011, the U.S. Senate passed a res­o­lution in support of the day and now all 50 states par­tic­ipate. According to the American Express website, it’s esti­mated $103 billion has been spent in local busi­nesses since the cre­ation of Small Business Saturday. 

Patti Bailey, owner of Maggie Anne’s Shoppe in downtown Hillsdale, said she’s thankful for American Express’s launch of this movement. 

“We love that everybody is out shopping in the downtown,” Bailey said. “We’ve seen a lot more enthu­siasm for shopping local and people just want to get out into the local stores.” 

To cel­e­brate, Maggie Anne’s will have a storewide sale, along with several other deals.

“We’ll have 20% off storewide, with a couple of exclu­sions,” Bailey said. “And Vera Bradley will be 30% off, and with your pur­chase of $75 of more of Vera Bradley, you get a free cell­phone crossbody bag. Also from Vera is their Grand Tote that’s nor­mally $90, but it’ll be 50% off. You also get a free ‘love and joy’ tote from Brighton jewelry and handbags with your pur­chase of $125 or more.” 

Healthies of Hillsdale store­owner Sierra Cady said she’s working to bring other local business owners to her store to promote them along with her own place.

“We’re having a Small Business Special here with eight vendors, including us. We’ll be open from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., and our vendors will be here from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.,” Cady said. “We’re also having our cus­tomer appre­ci­ation day and every­thing will be super fun and awesome. We’ll have prizes and other fun stuff happening.”

Some of the vendors coming to Healthies of Hillsdale include Thirty-One bags, Pam­pered Chef, and Tori Belle makeup. 

Cus­tomers can find Healthies of Hillsdale, Maggie Anne’s, and many other small busi­nesses in downtown Hillsdale.