Paul Rudd plays the two lead roles in new Netflix show “Living With Yourself.” | Wiki­media Commons

Are you your body or your mind? What makes you who you are? Netflix’s hilarious new show “Living With Yourself” explores the meaning of identity with Paul Rudd as the lead — and his rival. 

Miles Elliot (Paul Rudd) is burnt out and depressed as he’s watching his rela­tionship with his wife, Kate (Aisling Bea), dete­ri­orate. His career is crum­bling, too, as he’s upstaged for a pitch by a younger co-worker. Overall, he’s in a pretty bad slump. Des­perate, Miles goes to the Top Happy Spa, which promises to make him happier by “rebuilding his DNA.” Instead, he is replaced by a clone of himself that seems to be better than him in every way. The clone has his same body and mind, including all of his mem­ories, with one exception: Every­thing about this new Miles is improved. He doesn’t need glasses, he’s a better sto­ry­teller, and he’s more moti­vated. 

Netflix’s original content is pretty hit or miss. Sure, they made “Stranger Things” but they also made some of the worst movies (see: “Swiped,” “SPF 18,” and any­thing else with Noah Cen­tineo). Admit­tedly, even Paul Rudd didn’t keep me from being a little wary of the show at first.

The show is only eight episodes long and explores many dif­ferent threads within the same story. Each episode shifts per­spec­tives from original Miles to the new Miles and even takes a side step in one episode to examine how all the craziness affects his wife. At times the show can be a little slow as the timeline is rewound again and again to look at these dif­ferent per­spec­tives, but each episode is enjoyable to watch.

Rudd’s nuanced acting makes the con­ver­sa­tions between old and new Miles believable and fas­ci­nating as the two interact. It’s really a wonder that the role wasn’t written for Rudd, as his two char­acters’ seamless rapport make the show amusing. 

Although Rudd plays two-thirds of the main char­acters, Aisling Bea’s per­for­mance helps round out the show. Her charming Irish brogue makes every scene she’s in a delight, even when she’s com­plaining about one of the two Mileses. The show also suc­cess­fully makes her a real­istic and likable char­acter without blaming her for original Miles’s short­comings. At first, it’s easy to want to take the side of the original Miles when it comes to their argu­ments, but with shifting per­spec­tives, the audience is given a better picture of the bro­keness within their mar­riage. Ulti­mately, it’s these problems that make their mar­riage stronger.

At times the “dramedy” label of “Living with Yourself” leaves viewers a little uneasy. It’s hard to walk the line between a drama and a comedy. Random jokes and off­shoot story lines such as the Centers for Disease Control and Pre­vention getting involved are funny, but also con­fusing and unnec­essary.

Despite these road bumps, the show still has enough depth to be engaging. Both Miles Elliots struggle to come to terms with their new life. The old Miles can’t stand that everyone likes the new Miles better. The new Miles has to come to terms with being a clone and having never expe­ri­enced “real life.” The show dives into the question of identity and what makes us human.

“Are you seri­ously jealous of you?” Miles’s half-sister (Alia Shawkat) asks.

“Living With Yourself” proves to be a highly bingeable and rewatchable show.

Who knew four hours of Paul Rudd talking to himself could be so enter­taining?