At Hillsdale, being a member of a fra­ternity means making close friends within your house and forming a lasting broth­erhood with fellow members as you walk through life at Hillsdale with the support of a house full of prin­cipled men.

Recently, however, it has also meant involvement in the Inter­fra­ternity Council, which brings all of the campus’ fra­ter­nities together to work towards common goals.

Junior Jack Murphy, IFC rep­re­sen­tative for the Delta Sigma Phi Fra­ternity, said IFC brings together all the houses to create a fra­ternal bond that tran­scends the oft-divided Greek lines. 

“The purpose of the Inter­fra­ternity Council,” Murphy said, “is to bring together all the fra­ter­nities on campus and create better com­mu­ni­cation and coop­er­ation so that we can make Hillsdale better.”

The IFC, which has recently begun to meet at least once a month, is com­prised of one member rep­re­senting each fra­ternity, as well as the council pres­ident. They discuss each house’s progress with rushing and event planning. 

“The main thing that we do, espe­cially during the spring semester, is Greek Week.” Alpha Tau Omega’s IFC Rep­re­sen­tative Alex Yun said. “It’s the big com­pe­tition between all the dif­ferent fra­ter­nities.”

Greek Week con­sists of events held throughout the week between all of the fra­ter­nities on campus, with the winning fra­ternity receiving a trophy at the end of the week

“Greek Week is a chance for all of the fra­ter­nities to come together in ath­letic com­pe­tition,” senior and IFC Pres­ident Hunter Pearson explained. “It’s a great oppor­tunity for cama­raderie and fel­lowship.”

The IFC is orga­nized sim­i­larly to the Pan­hel­lenic Council, which is the inter-house gov­erning council that serves as the sorority coun­terpart to the IFC. 

“In the past, the rela­tionship between the Pan­hel­lenic Council and IFC was nonex­istent,” Pearson said. “However, we’ve recently come together to support one another where pos­sible.”

To help this rela­tionship along, the two councils have begun to plan ‘all Greek’ events.

“I think, if any­thing, we’re trying to err more on the phil­an­thropic side,” Yun said. “Our ini­tiative for the entire Greek orga­ni­zation is just trying to raise money, as well as having the houses come together and have some unity.”

This is an important change. While a thriving rela­tionship between the fra­ter­nities and soror­ities is sig­nif­icant, a good rela­tionship with the college is also imper­ative. Rec­og­nizing this, the deans set up an ‘all Greek’ meeting at the beginning of the semester.

“I think that they’ve kind of felt that there was a dis­connect between the Greek houses and the dean’s office,” Yun said. “They just wanted to get our input; things that they can work on, and also things that we can do to help them under­stand our sit­u­ation as well.”

Recent years, this past one in par­ticular, have brought tremendous improvement in the activity of the IFC as well as the respon­si­bil­ities that it takes on. Yun described the visible change he expe­ri­enced during his involvement. 

“I think we moved in a pos­itive direction. Ever since I was a freshman, IFC was kind of looked at as a joke,” he said. “We didn’t really do much, but I think that more and more we are becoming involved on the campus as a whole and in the fra­ter­nities.”