liam bredberg | colleigan

The Hillsdale College Chargers won two games this weekend, increasing their overall record, and further cementing their status as the team-to-beat in the G‑MAC. The Chargers are now ranked 11 in the country and are inching closer to a top-ten ranking by the week. 

Junior Allyssa Van Wienen was honored as the G‑MAC Offensive Player of the Week for the 5th time this season for her impressive weekend per­for­mance. Senior Taylor Wiese was her usual self and put together an impressive defensive per­for­mance earning her own honors for G‑MAC Defensive Player of the Week. 

Van Wienen needs just 16 kills in the remainder of the season to meet the 300-kill mark, an impressive feat for offensive players. It would be the first time in her career to meet that mark. During the Sat­urday match, Wiese recorded her 2,000th career dig. She is only the second player in school history to do so and now sits in second place for career digs at Hillsdale. 

The Chargers played Trevecca Nazarene leaving nothing up to chance and defeating the Trojans in three sets. Hillsdale won the sets with scores of 25 – 15, 25 – 16, and 25 – 19, respec­tively. 

The Chargers dom­i­nated sta­tis­ti­cally, leading the Trojans in hitting per­centage (.371), digs (40), and aces (7). Prior to playing the Chargers, Trevecca Nazarene was second to Hilsdale in the G‑MAC for allowed hitting per­centage with .161. 

In her return to starting play, Van Wienen was back to her original excel­lence with 13 kills and a .522 hitting per­centage. Sophomore Maggie DePorre added another impressive offensive per­for­mance with 10 kills on 15 attempts with a .533 hitting per­centage. 

Sophomore Karoline Shelton con­tributed to the offense with three of the teams seven service aces. Freshman Megan Kolp, senior Dani Jones, and Shelton each had six kills in the match. Junior setter Lindsay Mertz had an impressive 38 assists in the match greatly assisting the offensive explosive that con­tributed to the match win. 

On the defense, senior Taylor Wiese led the team with 16 digs. 

Fol­lowing their sweep of the Trevecca Nazarene Trojans, the Chargers trav­elled to Owensboro, Ken­tucky to play the Ken­tucky Wes­leyan Pan­thers. The Chargers put up a sim­i­larly impressive defeat over the team winning in three sets. The Chargers won the match with set scores of 25 – 15, 25 – 13, and 25 – 18. 

Wiese began the game with an impressive 10 – 0 run in which she had four service aces. Junior Madie Schider was effective on the defense with with 16 digs. Mertz had 34 assists and four digs in the match. 

On the offense, Van Wienen led with 11 kills and no errors with a .524 hitting per­centage. Shelton per­formed well on both sides of the ball with nine kills and nine digs. Senior Emily Lachmann had nine kills with a .348 hitting per­centage. 

I believe we can accom­plish any­thing together if we have the heart and will,” Freshman Audrey Riley said. “I def­i­nitely don’t think about our ranking when we play our oppo­nents. In the end rankings do not mean much, it’s about how well we perform and how hard we work.”

The Chargers will face off against the Walsh Uni­versity Cav­a­liers and the Malone Uni­versity Pio­neers this weekend. The match versus malone is vital to the Chargers season as the winner will likely take sole pos­session of the number one rank in the G‑MAC. 

Until this point in the season, the Chargers and the Cav­a­liers are both unde­feated in the G‑MAC, and while Walsh will prove to be a worthy opponent, they lack the national recog­nition that the Chargers have earned. The match will prove to be a winner-takes-all shootout that fans will not want to miss.