Reading Com­munity Schools and Adams Township were the only issues on the Nov. 5 ballot in Hillsdale County. | U.S. Army

Reading Com­munity Schools 

During the Nov. 5 election, voters of Hillsdale and Branch counties approved the granting of a $6.5 million bond to the Reading School Dis­trict. The vote passed 327 – 213, a 61% majority.

“We’ve always had a really sup­portive com­munity,” Reading Super­in­tendent Chuck North said. “I’ve been here for 28 years and any time we’ve had a vote on some­thing like this it has passed.” 

North said the money will be used in four areas of improvement: heating systems, roofing, bath­rooms and locker rooms, and play­ground equipment. 

“The main project is our heating systems in both the ele­mentary and high schools,” North said. “Last year alone we put in $50,000 in repairs.” 

The roof is on “the twi­light of its life” and is in need of major repairs, according to North. The bath­rooms, locker rooms, and play­ground equipment also all need to be updated to match new reg­u­la­tions. 

“The bath­rooms and locker rooms all need to be hand­i­capped-acces­sible,” North said. “And the play­ground equipment has been here forever. Lit­erally thou­sands of kids have played on it, but some of the equipment isn’t up to code with all the new reg­u­la­tions.”

Adams Township

Adams Township Super­visor Mark D. Nichols kept his seat in a recall attempt on Nov. 5. 

Nichols defeated Rob Glass III, a prior member of the zoning board, with a vote of 337 to 206, according to an Adams Township press release. 

“I feel relieved,” Nichols said. 

After knocking on almost all of the doors in the township, Nichols said his recall victory reminded him to be pos­itive at all times and remain true to the state and federal con­sti­tu­tions. 

“We should do well to remember our oaths of office, to support the Con­sti­tution of the United States and this state and observe the prin­ciples and spirit embodied in the words of these doc­u­ments,” Nichols said. 

Nichols added that he has been a par­tic­ipant in at least four, pos­sibly six, recalls. “Every one of them has been for values and beliefs that I maintain con­sti­tu­tional issues, not per­sonal attacks against any par­ticular indi­vidual.” 

Nichols said he believes in the recall process as a part of “checks and bal­ances,” but thinks the recall he just won involved some “pet­tiness and vin­dic­tiveness.”   

The recall took place, according to Nichols, largely because he and two other board members voted down a township nui­sance ordi­nance in October 2018. 

Throughout his time as township super­visor, Nichols has defended indi­vidual property rights. 

“It’s a fight between the com­moners and the elite, in a sense,” Nichols said. “You can’t tell people how to live on their own land.” 

Julia Mullins con­tributed to this report.