GOAL partners with two dorms for campus blood drive

Home News Homepage - News GOAL partners with two dorms for campus blood drive
The GOAL Program instagram page has featured students who have shared their stories about how blood drives have helped them or their family members. Hillsdale GOAL | Courtesy

On Nov. 8, the Community Health GOAL program will be hosting the Red Cross Blood Drive in the Student Union. 

The drive, organized by Goal Community Health leader Sarah Becker, will be in collaboration with Simpson Dormitory and New Dorm. 

“Every semester the Red Cross comes in and collects blood,” Becker said. “Last fall, the blood drives began being organized by GOAL Community Health. So we work with a different campus partner every time. This time we’re working with Simpson and New Dorm. They’ve been mobilizing their RAs to help with donor recruitment and some other efforts.”

Becker and her team are gearing up for a busy day on Friday.

“Our donation goal is 110 units,” she said. “We have that many appointment slots, and we have about 95 full right now, so it’s really exciting. I think this is the best shape we’ve been in at least as far as I’ve been running it.” 

Simpson Resident Assistant Reagan Dugan expressed his excitement about partnering with Goal Community Health. 

“I think it’s a cool opportunity for the dorms and GOAL programs to work together and use their resources for a good cause,” Dugan said. “It’s an easy way to serve something bigger than yourself and make a profound impact.”

Giving blood is an easy way to give back to another person, according to Becker. 

“The first time I ever donated blood was last fall and I think it’s a really neat experience in that it’s a really practical and tangible thing you can give to someone else. You know it’s going to someone in need and it will be in a hospital within a couple of days.”

Becker hopes the blood drive will unite campus in a meaningful way.

“Because it requires a lot of volunteers and donors, we are forced to draw from all areas of campus,” Becker said. “I love walking around on the day of the drive and seeing people from everywhere come together and help people in need. It’s definitely an all campus event.”