From left to right, Ste­fanie Walker, Mary Vita, and Taylor Boyle prepare for the 200 yard freestyle on Sunday. (Christian Yiu | Col­legian)

The Hillsdale College Chargers beat Findlay Uni­versity 110 – 95 and Lewis Uni­versity 119.5 – 85.5 in an Illinois tri-meet last Sat­urday.

The meet came down to the last event, the 200 freestyle relay, which the relay of Katherine Heeres, Anika Fassett, Emma Rao, and Marie Taylor won to secure the team win and break the Lewis Uni­versity pool record by .2 seconds for a new record of 1:39.22.

Relay anchor and freshman Marie Taylor said the pressure of her position helped her to swim faster.

“Its always good to have slight pressure on yourself to do well,” Taylor said. “Moving forward, my plan is to always have that pressure because it will push me further and also push the team in general.”

Taylor put up strong per­for­mances in her other events as well, taking second and beating Findlay swimmers in the 50 freestyle (24.82) and 100 freestyle (54.04). 

In general, the Chargers gathered a lot of points by securing mul­tiple place­ments in each event.

“The thing that is gonna do it for us is that second line of swimmers. They put us in the position that makes it hard for the other teams to outscore us,” Head Coach Kurt Kirner said.

In the events where the Chargers were weakest, like the 200 IM and the 100 breast­stroke, they stacked their points by taking mul­tiple places.

In the 100 breast­stroke, Senior Vic­toria Addis fin­ished third (1:10.47), sophomore Madeline Breay fin­ished fifth (1:11.84), and sophomore Taylor Boyle fin­ished sixth (1:12.16). Against the Findlay swimmers, this put Addis, Breay, and Boyle in second, third, and fourth place, respec­tively. 

“Every event was exhil­a­rating because every point mat­tered in this meet,” Addis said. “It was a full team effort, and you could feel it in the air.”