Pat Cartier (Hillsdale College Ath­letics | Courtesy)

Pat Cartier is a sophomore on the men’s bas­ketball team from Brook­field, Wis­consin.

What did the recruitment process look like when you came to Hillsdale?

I first got recruited through a con­nection of my high school coach at Michigan Tech. A lot of times when one school recruits you, then the other schools in that con­ference will look at you. I just talked to the coaches, really liked them, and came on a visit and picked Hillsdale.

What stood out the most about Hillsdale com­pared to other schools?

The family atmos­phere. A lot of the other schools talk about the family but at Hillsdale I could really feel it. Espe­cially with a lot of the players, you could tell they were a close team, and the coaches really cared as well.”

What are you studying and what are you hoping to do in the future?

“I’m studying psy­chology right now with a minor in general business. I’m looking at some­thing that has to with coun­seling, and some­thing with kids also. Maybe kids coun­seling? Maybe a school coun­seling?  

Why coun­seling and kids?

i just really like being with kids and I worked at a summer camp the last two years — a day camp — and that’s been pretty enjoyable for me. And with psy­chology, I feel like can help people solve their problems, and it’s just really inter­esting learning how people think.”

How it is bal­ancing sports and school at the same time

“It hasn’t been too bad. Obvi­ously it’s was tough missing class and every­thing, espe­cially if there’s an exam, but we def­i­nitely have enough time to to do homework and stuff, but I’ve had to work on my time man­agement. I’ve gotten used to it.

How would you describe the atmos­phere on your team?

Def­i­nitely really close. It’s a lot of fun, I think we have our fun just in the locker room and stuff, but we can def­i­nitely bubble down and get things done when we need to. It’s a close-knit family. Family is the word I would use to describe it.

What role did the team play in helping you adjust as a freshman?

My team­mates and coaches did a great job helping me out when I came out. All my team­mates were offering to help me with classes and pro­fessors to take. And, coaches helped me with sched­uling, and getting used to the offense. Obvi­ously you kind of get a wakeup call coming to college bas­ketball, everyone’s bigger and stronger, and you have it get used to that. It’s hard some­times but def­i­nitely for the better. The coaches do a good job of wel­coming you into the family, as do the players.

Why did you decide to red­shirt last year?

Two returning seniors last year were my position, and a couple guys on the bench also. I wasn’t going to play as much, so it was better for me because that fifth year playing com­pared to that first year not playing  would way out­weigh that, and it was also an extra year to space out classes, take some more of them, and spend more time with my buddies. Now it’s my first years of playing.

What were you able to do because you red­shirted?

It really helped me get phys­i­cally accus­tomed to the game, and men­tally, and just getting used to the offense, which is a big thing. Pretty com­pli­cated I’d say. It was also getting used to the guys, and just college bas­ketball in general.”

Who are some of your biggest role models?

“My twin brother is a big role model of mine, and I just really look up to him, as a leader and how he goes about things. He’s a really humble guy. He’s someone I really try to model after, and my parents, obvi­ously, and the uncon­di­tional love they give me, not only in bas­ketball but in every­thing in my life, and their work ethics also. That’s for all three of them.

Do you have any rituals or things you do before you play a game?

For every home game we go to Finish Line. I always get the same meal, French toast. Me and one of other guys in my grade, Peter Kalthoff, we do a stretching routine beforehand. It kind of gets us in the zone.”

What do you hope you walk away with after playing bas­ketball here at Hillsdale?

“Sports teaches a lot of life lessons, and espe­cially with bas­ketball, nothing is just given to you, you just have to earn it, and also a work ethic. For every­thing in life, you have to work for it. And, also the ability to work with others. In the past, the most when we’ve struggled as a team is is guys go off and try to do their own thing. But when we are working together as a tam, that’s when we are at our best, and listen to our coaches.

What is your rela­tionship like with your coaches?

I couldn’t ask for a better coach. Coach Tharp does a good job of bal­ancing and building per­sonal rela­tion­ships and also being hard on you when he needs to be in practice. He has a huge passion to win at the D2 level, but he really cares about us at a per­sonal level. And the assistant coaches are really good with bas­ketball smarts but also being there for us when we need it. They know the game really well, but then are there to help us with classes and things like that.