The Hillsdale College Book­store is hosting a canned food drive this week. External Affairs | Courtesy

The Hillsdale College Book­store will be kicking off its annual canned food drive to benefit the Sal­vation Army this week. As they have in pre­vious years, the store will be offering 20% off coupons for a single item of apparel to stu­dents who donate canned and dry goods to benefit members of the com­munity in need. 

Angie Berry, trade book coor­di­nator for the book­store, is in charge of orga­nizing the canned food drive this year.

“The Book­store strongly believes in sup­porting the college and the local com­munity,” Berry said. “By part­nering with the GOAL orga­ni­zation, we are helping the stu­dents reach out to the local com­munity, by pro­viding food to the people in the com­munity who des­per­ately need it.”

Senior Joe Welle­meyer, an employee of the book­store, said the event is a great incentive for stu­dents and that it brings in a great deal of dona­tions. 

“There are usually at least a few boxes of canned goods by the end of the drive,” Welle­meyer said. “There are usually more people in the book­store during the canned food drive than there are on a normal day. Some people even take advantage of the drive and donate without using the coupon, which is great as well.” 

“Offering one coupon per each item donated does seem to drive up the number of donated items brought in per person,” Berry said. “We feel it’s a win-win oppor­tunity for all!”  

Canned food drives are vital to the com­munity in winter months as fam­ilies need more help to stay afloat. The American Red Cross helps fam­ilies across the country by orga­nizing food drives through dif­ferent orga­ni­za­tions such as col­leges and high schools to bring attention to a major issue in the United States.