Bon Appetit invites stu­dents to visit Zinger­man’s coffee shop in Ann Arbor. WILLIAM PERSSON | COURTESY

This Sat­urday, Bon Appetit will take 10 stu­dents on a field trip to tour Zingerman’s Coffee Roastery in Ann Arbor. 

Stu­dents will have the oppor­tunity to learn how Zingerman’s — the coffee sup­plier for A.J.’s coffee — sources their beans and how the roasting process works in general. 

The trip is in col­lab­o­ration with the Roots Project, which seeks to inform stu­dents on being more mindful of where their food comes from. 

“We’re working with the Roots Project to do infor­mative farm and artisan visits, because learning about where your food comes from is an important part of changing your habits with regards to food, and the way you think about the food system,” said Bon Appetit Mar­keting Coor­di­nator William Persson ‘17. “Learning how these things are made or grown can help change the way you think about them.” 

Stu­dents can look forward to touring Zingerman’s roasting area, candy shop, creamery, and bakery. The trip is open to all stu­dents, but is obvi­ously mar­keted to those who enjoy the occa­sional cup of joe.

“It’s very inter­esting to learn about all of the work that goes into a single cup of coffee,” Persson said. 

According to Bon Appetit Mar­keting Assistant Danielle Lee, learning about the mechanics behind coffee is very important — an oppor­tunity the trip pro­vides. 

“When you know the process that goes into it — how they source it, how they meet the farmers — it’s really an intensive process,” Lee said. “People think like, ‘Oh, you just sign a con­tract and you get the beans.’ No, to get good sourcing you also have to form good part­ner­ships with farmers, and the effort that goes into that makes the cup more human and more con­nected.” 

Stu­dents inter­ested in attending the field trip can RSVP through the SAB Newsletter, or through A.J.’s or Bon Appetit’s Insta­grams. Stu­dents will meet at the Lane parking lot at 10:30 a.m. Sat­urday for the 12 p.m. tour at Zingerman’s.