U.S. troops sta­tioned in Syria. | Fars News Agency

In the article, ‘Removing troops puts Kurds at risk’ pub­lished in the Oct. 31 edition of the Col­legian, Abby Liebing argued that with­drawing U.S. troops from Syria would put the Kurds in danger.

Citing his­torical examples and con­tem­porary crit­i­cisms of the Erdogan regime, she insin­uates that the Turks are geno­cidal maniacs with a history of hatred for non-Turkish ethnic peoples, and that this ethnic hatred per­sists to this day and puts our so-called allies, the Kurds, at risk.

But this claim does not account for the real moti­vation for the Turkish incursion into Northern Syria, it cer­tainly doesn’t matter in the context of an America First foreign policy.

Turkey’s “long held hatred for the Kurdish people” is not based on a belief in fanatical ethnic supremacy nor is it based on delu­sions of ter­ri­torial expansion into the Levant region. Turkey’s hatred is, as ref­er­enced briefly in the article, based on Kurdish com­munist ter­rorism. The Turks believe, and right­fully so, that the Kurdish Workers Party — com­i­cally renamed the Syrian Demo­c­ratic Forces fol­lowing a sug­gestion from the Pen­tagon — are a threat to peace, sta­bility, law, and order within Turkey’s own borders.

Past acts of Kurdish ter­rorism within Turkey’s borders — including bombings at soccer sta­diums and schools and other public buildings since the late 1970’s — more than justify their “hatred” for the Kurds. Kurds have clearly demon­strated they are an enemy of Turkey, and it seems the estab­lishment in this country forgets that Turkey is an ally of the United States.

Crit­i­cisms of the Erdogan regime notwith­standing, they remain a NATO ally of the U.S. in good standing. They are an allied nation state, with defined borders, a central and accountable gov­ernment, and a long and storied tra­dition of sov­er­eignty in the region. Their aggression towards a ter­rorist orga­ni­zation within and near their own borders is com­pletely jus­tified. Wanting to secure their borders from hostile foreign raiders is not only jus­ti­fiable in the present context — it is also nothing the United States itself hasn’t done.

When Mexico col­lapsed into anarchy and rev­o­lu­tionary vio­lence in the early 1910s, the U.S. Army and National Guard undertook several punitive expe­di­tions against the Zap­atistas, a group of Mexican com­munist ter­rorists fol­lowing Emilio Zapata and com­manded by the bandit Pancho Villa, who had been raiding American towns, burning farms, and stealing cattle.

Moreover, our with­drawal from Syria may endanger these Kurdish ter­rorists, but it removes American sol­diers from danger, fighting an unde­clared war thou­sands of miles from their homeland. Being “waist-deep” in the Middle East is not a reason to stay in, it’s an even greater reason to leave.

Our entan­gle­ments in Syria put our mil­itary at risk, isolate us from normal rela­tions with nations in the region, and con­tinue the longest period of war in our nation’s short history. We invaded Iraq in 2003 under the pretext of elim­i­nating an Iraqi dic­tator in pos­session of weapons of mass destruction (that he did not have) hell-bent on genocide and world dom­i­nation.

Sixteen years later, we are now con­sid­ering mil­itary action against a Turkish dic­tator, in pos­session of American weapons of mass destruction, deter­mined on killing ter­rorists within and near his own borders.

Regardless, our inter­vention to help the Kurds does not help the American people. The Kurds have done nothing to help Amer­icans. Though flunkies in the Pen­tagon and our foreign policy think tanks may say that they were indis­pensable to our victory against the Islamic State, that claim doesn’t hold up to any real crit­icism.

Asking any veteran who has served in the region who isn’t wearing an oakleaf on his shoulder or on the payroll of some defense special interest group, you get the real picture of the fighting prowess of a stateless people: pitiful. Not to mention that the destruction of the Islamic State was not accom­plished by American ground forces, but with American air power, with European, Syrian, and Russian assis­tance.

To suggest that these people were instru­mental in our victory over the Islamic State is a laughable mistake a best and a mis­leading lie at worst.

Pres­ident Trump is seeking an end to our endless wars in the Middle East. We, as con­ser­v­a­tives, ought to support this decision.

It’s time to put America first in our foreign policy, even if that means some com­munist ter­rorists are going to die to do so.
It’s not Kur­distan first, it’s not Iraq first, it isn’t Israel first, it cer­tainly isn’t Saudi Arabia first, it is America first.

Luke Grzywacz is a senior studying pol­itics and German.