The Liberty Princess Company will be attending Hillsdale County’s Hal­loween Party on Thursday evening. Gianna Marchese | Courtesy

The forecast for Hal­loween is cold, but the people of Hillsdale County and sur­rounding areas can trick or treat indoors at the 41st annual Hillsdale County Hal­loween Party in the Hillsdale High School Cafe­teria on Oct. 31. 

Doors open at 6:30 p.m., and the evening’s activ­ities will begin with a costume com­pe­tition at 7 p.m. Admission for the event is free, and costume con­tes­tants will have the chance to win various gift cer­tifi­cates for the best costume.

Event orga­nizer Ted Jansen said he split the costume com­pe­tition into “about 17 dif­ferent age brackets with three judges each” to ensure better results.

“If I get college kids to come in costume, then I would open up a cat­egory for them too,” Jansen added.

As far as judging selection goes, anyone can be a judge by just showing up at the event.

In addition to the costume com­pe­tition, there will be a per­for­mance from vis­iting magician Count Spooky and a visit from the princesses of the Liberty Princess Company.

Founder and Director of the Liberty Princess Company Gianna Marchese said the company is made up of over 30 vol­un­teers from the college who spend their weekends and some weekdays going to various com­munity events, like the Hal­loween party, “teaching kids what it means to be a princess.”

Jansen said the Liberty Princesses have come to the event for the last three years and party attendees always enjoy the princesses — espe­cially little girls who are dressed just like them.

“Last year there was a young girl dressed as Princess Elsa from Frozen who was so excited to see the grown-up Elsa that she wanted to stay with the Liberty Princess the whole evening,” Jansen said.

Throughout the evening, guests can also enjoy refresh­ments pro­vided by several local busi­nesses. 

The St. Anthony’s Knights of Columbus will grill several hundred hot dogs for attendees and will hand out apple cider and donuts pro­vided by Meckley’s Flavor Fruit Farm.

On the way out, kids will receive candy in normal trick-or-treating fashion.

The Hal­loween party is a family-friendly event that Jansen said “has become a gen­er­a­tional thing.”

“The neatest thing is that we have grand­parents who came as kids and now come with their grand­children,” Jansen said.