The Hillsdale County Inter­me­diate School Dis­trict invites the com­munity to join them in cel­e­brating autumn at its 12th annual Fall Fes­tival on Oct. 24. | Facebook

The Hillsdale County Inter­me­diate School Dis­trict invites the com­munity to join them in cel­e­brating autumn at its 12th annual Fall Fes­tival. The event will take place, rain or shine, from 4 to 6:30 p.m. this evening, Oct. 24 at the Hillsdale County Fair­grounds. While the fes­tiv­ities are geared toward fam­ilies with children, all are welcome.

Fall Fest was born out of a desire to raise awareness about the special edu­cation resources Hillsdale County ISD offers, explained Kim Svacha, assistant to the super­in­tendent. The orga­ni­zation offers speech, physical, and occu­pa­tional therapy in addition to pro­fes­sional devel­opment and tech­nical training. 

“While the event was once driven for exposure, it has grown into a venue for our local service agencies and the ISD to come together and offer a fun, family-focused event,” Svacha said in an email. “It was far more suc­cessful than we expected.”

According to Svacha, Fall Fest aims to create a safe and wel­coming place for all.

“We have some­where around 50 vol­un­teers every year to help keep a watchful eye,” she said. “We love to see the kids having fun but we — the Hillsdale County ISD — also love making face-to-face con­nec­tions with moms and dads. Ulti­mately, we want them to know we’re here to help.”

Each partner agency and ISD department will offer an activity for vis­itors to enjoy. Attrac­tions include dancing, bowling, col­oring, crafting, a “spooky fun bus,” and an oppor­tunity to take photos. There will also be free grilled hotdogs and chips available in addition to hayrides and pumpkins to take home.

Kelly Castle has attended the Fall Fest with her son the past two years and said she would “highly rec­ommend” it to others.

“We have enjoyed the hayride and games the best,” Castle said in a text message. “Last year my son had so much fun dancing with the ISD staff. Best of all, it’s free!”