The Weekly: Advocate for change the right way

Home Opinion The Weekly: Advocate for change the right way

When Bon Appetit announced they would stop allowing students to punch in their ID numbers for meals, students were outraged.

Without first asking why our food service provider made this decision, students took to Facebook to post their grievances.

Events of the past year show students won’t hesitate to express concerns about perceived issues on campus. We’ve seen petitions for improved sexual assault education, lively debate about Tower Light funding, and everything in between.

Hillsdale isn’t perfect. But a student who spends four years on this campus has the potential to make campus life better for the next generation of Hillsdale students.

But change does not happen unless students use the proper channels.

If you want to effect change at Hillsdale College, use the means provided to you.

Through the liberal-arts core, students know to clearly and effectively communicate. Use your knowledge from Classical Logic and Rhetoric to establish credibility and argue your point in a respectful and logical manner. Use your critical thinking skills to understand that the poorly-organized petition or thrown-together Facebook group will not accomplish your end goal.

Creating change on this campus should happen the right way, with intelligence and respect. Internet trolling helps nobody, and Hillsdale students are better than that.

One simply needs to have the courage to take a stand and the heart and brains to be kind while doing so.