Stu­dents will learn the art of “adulting” at a new lecture series hosted by The Suites. Eliz­abeth Brady | Col­legian

Stu­dents will put their “adulting” skills to the test in a series of lec­tures The Suites is hosting this Sat­urday from 4 – 5:30p.m. “Life Skills” will consist of dif­ferent speakers coming to teach stu­dents about important aspects of adult life. There will be four 20-minute ses­sions in which stu­dents will get the advice of adults on a mul­titude of topics. Refresh­ments will be pro­vided in between the talks.

“Although this event is geared more towards the pre­dom­i­nantly older pop­u­lation of stu­dents who live in The Suites, all campus is welcome to be a part of the event,” said House Director Christa Green. 

The first session will focus on learning how to budget well in college, led by Rich Moeggenburg. The second session, on self-defense, will be taught by ex-mil­itary officer Joe Kellum. The third, hosted by Career Ser­vices, will offer advice on how to find a career. Finally, Alexander Green, Suites house director, will teach stu­dents the art of changing a tire.

Each session was chosen as a reflection of some of the key rites of passage into adulthood, and setting stu­dents up to reflect on what it means to be self-gov­erning and respon­sible outside of the college sphere. 

“We created this event to prepare stu­dents who are entering adulthood,” Christa Green said, “and Hillsdale has so many good resources to do that.”

STATIONS:

4 – 4:20 — Learn how to budget in college; 3rd floor lobby with Rich Moeggenburg

4:20 – 4:25 — Tran­sition and snacks

4:25 – 4:45 — Self-defense skills crash course; main floor lobby (probably with Joe Kellum)

4:45 – 4:50 — Tran­sition and snacks

4:50 – 5:10 — Career ser­vices crash course; 2nd floor lobby with Career Ser­vices 

5:10 – 5:15 — Tran­sition and snacks

5:15 – 5:35 — Learn how to change a tire; outside with Alexander Green