Carmel Kookogey | Col­legian

Two new clubs on campus are now eli­gible for funding from the Student Fed­er­ation. At their Oct. 17 meeting, the fed­er­ation granted initial club status to the real estate club and the applied math­e­matics club.

Club pres­ident Sam Ziolkowski pre­sented the real estate club’s pro­posal.

“Our mission is to provide exposure to com­mercial real estate on campus,” Ziolkowski said. “I think it’s an under­served industry, and quite frankly I’ve never seen anyone working in the industry other than myself and I want more stu­dents to get into it.”

The club has 12 potential members but has been waiting for approval before meeting in any official capacity. 

David Ambuul pre­sented the applied math­e­matics club’s pro­posal. The club has been active since 2017 using funding from the math department to operate. They applied for fed­er­ation recog­nition in order to have more out­reach and receive more funding.

The applied math­e­matics club’s main focus is com­puter pro­gramming and coding, and stu­dents from all dis­ci­plinary back­grounds come to meetings to work on problems and compete in com­pe­ti­tions. They have also brought in several speakers.

“The coolest thing about these pre­sen­ta­tions is how excited the speakers are to talk to us,” Ambuul said. “They’re super inter­ested and they want to come; some of them will even pay for their own flight out. There’s a lot of interest both on the student end and on the people who are coming to present.”

Meetings typ­i­cally draw around 15 to 20 stu­dents, but pre­sen­ta­tions can draw many more if the speaker is from a rec­og­nized back­ground such as NASA or Apple.

Neither of these new clubs have requested any funding at this point.

According to club over­sight chair Brandt Siegfried, initial status give clubs a chance to prove they are active and ben­e­ficial to the student body before granting full priv­i­leges.

“We do this so that clubs led by a spur of passion or a single indi­vidual don’t get full status and then become inactive,” Siegfried said. “Initial status ensures that stu­dents put forth their best effort so that we have high quality student activ­ities.”