Col­legian: Rachel Kookogey

Hal­loween is next week and you forgot to make plans because it’s midterms season. But you’re in luck because we’ve com­piled six things you can do this Hal­loween! Check them out below:

1. Pumpkin carving

What bonds friends better than strug­gling to cut open a huge gourd? Pumpkin carving is a fun activity to do with friends on or before Hal­loween. And don’t forget to save the pumpkin seeds to bake with olive oil and salt for a crunchy, savory snack. If you’re not up for the task of carving, paint the pumpkins instead!

2. Visit a haunted house

Do you like getting scared or watching your friends scream? Or do scary things just make you laugh? Either way, you could have a good time at Jonesville’s DarkSyde Acres Haunted House for $22 on October weekends. 

3. Scary movie marathon

Feel like you’re too old to go trick or treating or even dress up in cos­tumes? Try the classic alter­native: a scary movie night. Get your friends together some­where that has cozy couches, fuzzy blankets, and hot apple cider. Make some popcorn, or get adven­turous and make baked apples, and have a scary movie marathon! If you and your friends don’t like horror films, go for family-friendly classics like “Para­Norman” or “The Nightmare Before Christmas.”

4. Throw a Hal­loween party

Remember Violet’s famous party in “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown”? Con­sider recre­ating some­thing like that this Hal­loween with old party activ­ities, like a costume contest or bobbing for apples, and some new things like pumpkin bowling!

5. Hand out candy to cute kids

Want some­thing lowkey but still want to stay involved in the holiday spirit? Children of pro­fessors and town res­i­dents love coming by the Hillsdale College dor­mi­tories and off-campus houses for trick-or-treating. Make their day with the best candy, and maybe sur­prise them with a costume of your own. This is also a good early-evening activity if you’ve got a test or paper due the next day. 

6. Ignore Hal­loween and enjoy the Michigan autumn instead

Not a fan of Hal­loween? Then have a fall-themed hangout with friends. You could build a bonfire and roast s’mores, have an all-things-fall baking com­pe­tition, watch a good autumn movie like “Dead Poets Society,” or read some autumnal poetry (if you do this, you have to slip in some Edgar Allan Poe).