Senior Madeleine Brylski sells potted plants at SAB Maker’s Market. Eliz­abeth Bachmann | Col­legian

This Sat­urday, Hillsdale’s bakers, jew­elers, farmers, seam­stresses, and hor­ti­cul­tur­alists emerged from their secluded alcoves of study, taking time away from aca­d­emics to share their spe­cialties with the com­munity. 

Hillsdale hob­byists gathered under the colonnade outside Mossey Library to peddle their wares at SAB’s first annual Makers Market. Most of the vendors were stu­dents selling goods baked, grilled, sewn, crafted, or grown. 

In the food department, Juniors Danielle Lee and Trevor Vogel sold grilled Mexican street corn, while senior Bridgid Maj­mudar and Katie Sorensen ‘15, both members of Hillsdale’s Greek Orthodox com­munity, united to not only introduce campus to Greek spanakopita but also to Greek culture. Greek music blaring, the vendors danced the kala­ma­tiano before intrigued passersby. 

Sorensen, dressed in tra­di­tional Greek garb, rep­re­sented the yia, or Greek grand­mother, for the group. 

“I wear funny clothes like this, encourage people to eat things that are mildly unhealthy, and I did bring bread for everyone to eat, because it was my sour­dough starter’s first birthday,” Sorensen said. “Those are basi­cally all my duties as yia.” 

A few tables down, past the homemade banana bread, candles, and retro ear­rings, seniors Madeleine Brylski and Adrianne Fogg brought their green thumbs together, offering a selection of baby suc­cu­lents, Snake plants, and Wan­dering Jew plants. 

“I am having a blast,” Brylski said. “This is the time of my life. Adrianne and I just love plants so I am so excited to sell plants here today.”

The two heard about the Makers Market this summer and began planning and planting imme­di­ately. Brylski said that they both began breaking branches off of their larger Snake and Wan­dering Jew plants, which they then trans­ferred into small planters for pur­chase. 

The pair also offered sumac tea, which they made simply by dipping a sumac branch into hot water. 

“It tastes like Lipton Iced Tea,” Brylski said. “I just want people to know how cool that is. You can lit­erally just rip off a branch and stick it in, and I just really want people to know that they can do that before they all go out of season.” 

Further down, the only non-student vendors, Mary and Ezra Bertakis and David Spence of Chef’s Way farm, offered stu­dents a selection of water­melon, cherry tomatoes, and an abun­dance of leafy greens. 

Chef’s Way, a local organic farm, pro­vides produce for Bon Appetit. Owner and clas­si­cally trained chef Ezra Bertakis also offers cooking classes and events at the college. 

The farm has another unique con­nection with the college. Ezra Bertakis’s uncle David Spence just retired from his cus­todial job at the sports center Sept. 20 after eight years of service. Spence said that when he heard about the Markers Market, he was delighted to have the oppor­tunity to come back. 

“My great nephew heard about the market and I said ‘Let me come down. I can visit’,” Spence said. “Everyone meant so much to me here. This was my life. I want to come back and they let me come back here.”

Senior Avery Lacey also said she was thrilled that the Makers Market pro­vided her the oppor­tunity to share her fervor for fer­men­tation— of the tea variety. 

Lacey and Rosemary Pynes ‘19  assembled and sold do-it-yourself kom­bucha starter kits, com­plete with instruc­tions and baby scoby — a yeast and bac­terial culture used to ferment tea — -all bundled together in a miniature ball jar. 

“I thought it was a great event and hope they do it again,” Lacey said. “There were a lot of people who came by, who realized ‘Oh, I could make this,’ or ‘ I could make that.’ I think there could be a lot of oppor­tu­nities for next year.”