Rep. Eric Leutheuser will host an Okto­berfest fundraiser on Oct. 10. | Facebook

State Rep. Eric Leutheuser is eyeing a run for the state senate in 2022.

“The next logical step for me would be to run for the state senate,” Leutheuser said. “But a seat will not open up for another two years, when Mike Shirkey leaves office.”

On Oct 10, he will host an Okto­berfest Birthday Party to fundraise for 2020 Repub­lican house can­di­dates and a potential cam­paign for the state senate in the 2022 election. 

“As a rep­re­sen­tative, I want to make sure I can do all I can before I leave to keep the Repub­licans in the majority,” Leutheuser said.

Cur­rently, the Michigan GOP holds the majority in the house, but only by six seats. 

Leutheuser cannot run for his house seat again in 2020 due to term limits. Under the Michigan con­sti­tution, rep­re­sen­ta­tives are limited to three two-year terms.

Hillsdale Mayor Adam Stockford announced his can­didacy for the 58th dis­trict seat that will open up when Leutheuser’s term ends. He will be running as a Repub­lican. Steven Soward, of North Adams, has filed to seek the Demo­c­ratic Party nom­i­nation for the 58th dis­trict.

The Okto­berfest will be a family affair, as Leutheuser’s cousin and his wife, Steve and Adrienne Meckley, run the farm –– which has been in the family for two gen­er­a­tions. 

“We often host events for many dif­ferent people and events and are a con­ve­nient location with a family friendly atmos­phere,” Adrienne Meckley said in an email. 

Special guest Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey will also be in atten­dance. 

Those inter­ested in attending the event can RSVP to EricLeutheuser@gmail.com or (517) 295‑3840. Tickets are $25 per person or $60 per family and the event will run from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.