Interior of Christ Chapel. | Courtesy Ethan Greb

The days of admiring Christ Chapel from the outside have come to an end with the installment of daily sacred silent hours.

The current hours are from 6 – 8 a.m. and 5 – 7 p.m, but starting Oct. 17th, sacred silence times in the main sanc­tuary will be extended to 6:30 – 9 a.m. and 4:30 – 10:15 p.m. 

Prayer ser­vices will also be moved to the day chapel starting on Thursday.

“Stu­dents gath­ering for morning or midday prayer ser­vices in the day chapel should access the building through the northeast side door,” said Chief Admin­is­trative Officer Rich Péwé.

The door is off Gal­loway Drive and faces the Grewcock Student Union. Keycard access will allow stu­dents into the day chapel.

Student worship ser­vices will be held in the main sanc­tuary beginning Thursday, Oct. 24.

“Starting next week, formal student ser­vices like Catholic mass and Intervarsity’s Soma will be per­mitted to start using it,” Hillsdale College chaplain Adam Rick said. 

These limited hours are not per­manent. Workers need space to com­plete the remaining projects like the arcade, or the covered pas­sageways with columns on both sides of the chapel. 

“As soon as the arcade is com­plete, the chapel will be opened to regular hours,”  Péwé said.

Once the fin­ishing touches are done, the music department will also use the sanc­tuary.

“There will be stu­dents prac­ticing and getting lessons on the organs,” Rick said. “The building will still be open, there will just be music to contend with.”

Two world-class organs will even­tually occupy the space, but the second one is a few years away from com­pletion. 

Lessons won’t interfere with the spir­itual life of the chapel, however, as the time for them will be limited.

“Hours will be set aside each day to ensure there’s always silent time available,” Rick said. 

Lessons and extended silent hours will soon be estab­lished as the workers are nearing com­pletion. 

“We are very eager to get stu­dents in there,” Rick said. “The long term goal is to have the chapel open as much as pos­sible.”