The men’s and women’s cross country teams pose for a photo during their cross country camp this summer at Rockwell Lake Lodge. r.p. white | courtesy

After a few weekends off, the Hillsdale College Chargers will be back in action on the cross country course this Friday. The team will be splitting into two groups, one heading to Lansing and one to South Bend.

The Chargers com­peting in Lansing will race at the Lansing Com­munity College Invi­ta­tional at the Grand Woods Park. The women’s 5k race begins at 12:30 p.m., and the men’s 8k race is to follow at 1:15 p.m.

The rest of the Chargers will be racing at Notre Dame University’s 64th annual Joe Paine Invi­ta­tional on the Burke Golf Course. The women will be racing a 5k while the men will be running a five-mile race, just a little bit longer than the tra­di­tional 8k dis­tance.

The race is broken up into three divi­sions: open, blue, and gold. Both of the Hillsdale men’s and women’s teams will be racing in the gold division, which for the women, begins at 3:15 and for the men, begins at 4 p.m.

In just two meets so far this season, the Chargers had earned several awards and moved up in the con­ference rankings. Senior Joey Humes earned con­ference and national awards after his race at the Calvin College Knight Invi­ta­tional, sophomore Sophia Maeda was the G‑MAC cross country athlete of the week, and the women’s team is now ranked 10th in the nation.