Junior Grace Houghton com­petes in a meet earlier this season. (Photo: Zoe Hopkins | Courtesy)

The Hillsdale College Chargers lost to the Dav­enport Uni­versity Pan­thers in their season opener on Oct. 5. 

The Pan­thers’ final score of 165.5 to the Chargers’ 133.5 was mostly due to the fact that Dav­enport scored points in diving events while the Chargers have no divers on their team.

The meet fea­tured several strong per­for­mances from the debuting freshmen, espe­cially Leah Tunney and Marie Taylor. 

Taylor won the 50 freestyle and the 100 freestyle with times of 25.06 and 55.34, respec­tively. She was also a member of the winning 200 freestyle relay. Tunney won both the 100 back­stroke and 500 freestyle with respective times of 58.84 and 5:12.53 and placed second in the 200 IM with a time of 2:13.78.

Tunney said her first meet went better than she antic­i­pated and was glad to see the results follow her effort.

“Everyone came into the meet with the men­tality that as long as we try our best we’re gonna do fine,” Tunney said. “Everyone today tried their best and the times fol­lowed.”

The Chargers also went 1 – 2 in the 100 but­terfly as senior Catherine Voisin fin­ished first in 1:00.76, with freshman Anika Fassett close behind 1:01.59.

Junior Katherine Heeres also snagged a first-place finish for Hillsdale in the 200 freestyle. She fin­ished in 1:58.95. She took second in the 200 back­stroke in 2:11.03.

The Chargers’ top per­for­mances were matched by strong per­for­mances from the Pan­thers, who took first in seven of the 14 swimming events. Between this and the Pan­thers’ points in the diving events, the Chargers couldn’t secure a win.

“We had a lot of kids who did a great job and put in the effort we expected,” Kirner said. “But there are a lot of little things we need to clean up.”