St. John Paul II
St. John Paul II

Christ Chapel will have its first full reli­gious cer­emony next Tuesday with the cel­e­bration of a Catholic mass. 

Catholic Bishop of Lansing, Bishop Earl Boyea, will be cel­e­brating mass on October 22, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. The mass is in honor of the feast day of Pope John Paul II and will be pre­ceded by a talk given by a member of the Pon­tifical John Paul the Second Institute, Michael Hanby, in Plaster Audi­torium at 4 p.m.

Hanby is a Pro­fessor of Religion and Phi­losophy of Science at the Pon­tifical John Paul II Institute for Studies on Mar­riage and Family at the Catholic Uni­versity of America in Wash­ington, D.C. His talk is entitled “Sexual Rev­o­lu­tions: The Abo­lition of Man and Women.” 

This topic was chosen because of Hanby’s expertise in the field of sex­u­ality from a reli­gious per­spective, according to Pro­fessor of Phi­losophy and Religion Nathan Schlueter . 

Bishop Earl Boyea has served the Lansing diocese for eight years and was raised to the office of Bishop by St. Pope John Paul II in 2002. His mass at Hillsdale will be a rare event for the college and the Hillsdale College Catholic Society. The event marks the first Catholic mass in the chapel and gives the Catholic Society an oppor­tunity to express their fidelity and grat­itude to Bishop Boyea for his con­tinual support. 

According to Catholic Society Trea­surer Bridget Breckler, it is espe­cially sig­nif­icant that it happens in honor of Pope John Paul II. 

“He was able to live the vitality of the Catholic faith in a way that spoke to people of all walks of life and ages,” Breckler said. 

Schlueter empha­sized that the event isn’t just for Catholics.

“St. Pope John Paul II was heavily influ­ential for the defeat of com­munism in 1989 when the Berlin wall was dis­mantled,” he said. “This event is partly in cel­e­bration of his role in that turning point of history.” 

While the event is in honor of Pope John Paul II’s incredible legacy, Breckler also stressed its role in thanking the college.

“Catholic Society is so grateful to Hillsdale for its part­nership,” she said. “This entry into the chapel is a symbol of our grat­itude.”