James Georgulas with father, Jeffrey Younger. | SaveJames.com

For the first time since 1974, the pres­ident does not have a bioethics com­mission.

In light of recent bioethical assaults on society, it is urgent that Pres­ident Trump find prudent coun­selors on the subject.
In Dallas this week, a court ruling sac­ri­ficed 7‑year-old James Georgulas to the worship of the pro­gressive agenda.

Anne Georgulas — a pedi­a­trician and the mother of twins James and Jude — brought Jeffrey Younger, her ex-husband and the boys’ father, to court to demand com­plete custody of the boys. The jury ruled 11 – 1 decision to grant the mother full-custody of the 7‑year-old twins to Anne Georgulas. Georgulas believes that James is a trans­gender girl, and she now calls him Luna. The court’s decision dis­re­gards Younger’s con­cerns about the gender dys­phoria diag­nosis of James, per­mitting Georgulas to begin hormone therapy treatment on to James.

The hormone-blocking drug to be used on James is called Lupron, and was developed to treat prostate cancer. Its effect is essen­tially a chemical cas­tration. The FDA has never approved the use of Lupron in cases of pedi­atric gender dys­phoria, and it is only just now testing Lupron’s class of drugs for long-term nervous system and psy­chi­atric events. There are online support net­works, such as forming for former patients of pedi­atric Lupron who are now in their 20s and suf­fering through the long-term effects, such as degen­er­ating spinal disks, shedding teeth enamel, and deadly seizures.

Cross-sex hormone therapy, Georgulas’ long-term goal for James’s treatment, poses serious mental and physical health risks, from depression to and higher suicide rates to pul­monary embolisms and shorter lifespans.

Most 7‑year olds don’t know what sex is, let alone under­stand the ram­i­fi­ca­tions of an oper­ation like a gender tran­sition. Three of the most obvious risks asso­ciated with a gender tran­sition are per­manent infer­tility, the inability to engage in sexual inter­course nat­u­rally, and a shortened decreased lifespan.

Can, and ought, a 7‑year-old child be able to fathom that a gender tran­sition may leave their children without parents to cel­e­brate them at grad­u­ation, and their grand­children without grand­parents?

The three pres­i­dents pre­ceding Pres­ident Trump estab­lished their own bioethics com­mission to research and report on various devel­op­ments in ethical issues: for Clinton, cloning and stem cell research; for Bush, stem cell research and repro­ductive tech­nologies; for Obama, STD man­agement, epi­demics, and genome sequencing.

Upon Trump’s inau­gu­ration, Obama’s com­mission was dis­missed from service and has yet to be replaced, whether by gov­ernment orga­ni­zation or official com­mission. Now more than ever, the Pres­ident needs a com­mission to guide him. Whereas past pres­i­dents and con­gresses handled one or two major sub­jects, such as stem cell research, Trump is faced with an increas­ingly diverse list of threats as tech­nology develops. From robot brothels to hor­monal therapy for gender tran­sition, it is crucial that Trump base deci­sions on a firm under­standing of the issues.

The decision to give the mother custody of James Georgulas reflects a serious flaw in the direction of our judi­ciary system. In the courtroom, six tes­ti­fying physi­cians com­mented on gender. Nobody defined gender the same way, and every def­i­n­ition began with “I think gender is…” Without a con­sistent def­i­n­ition of gender, how can gender dys­phoria be diag­nosed in general, and par­tic­u­larly in the case of James Georgulas? Only one psy­chi­a­trist diag­nosed James with gender dys­phoria. If no two physi­cians have the same def­i­n­ition of gender, it only seems appro­priate that each diag­nosis requires at least two medical opinions.

Younger’s position as a parent is not unique. Across the United States and Canada, there are two crises tearing fam­ilies apart: on the one hand, the paradox of autonomous depen­dents, and on the other hand, pedi­atric diag­noses with dis­regard to the simple example of the patient’s opinion and dis­po­sition.

Earlier this year, a father used female pro­nouns to refer to his 14-year-old daughter who had started taking gender-tran­sition drugs. The ref­erence was deemed family vio­lence.

In Feb­ruary of 2018, a 17-year-old girl was trans­ferred to the custody of her grand­parents because her parents objected to her gender-tran­sition drugs.

Last fall, Toronto’s Sick Kids hos­pital announced a new policy that permits pedi­atric physician assisted suicide, regardless of parental consent or infor­mation. In other words, for the pro­tection of a child’s privacy, a child may submit to physician-assisted suicide, and his parents will not be informed of the decision until after their child dies.

These cases are neither iso­lated nor rare, and they will only con­tinue to increase in fre­quency. Trump must establish a board of ethics to address these children’s health issues as the rela­tionship between parent and child con­tinues to be chal­lenged by the pro­gressive agenda.

Reagan Cool is a senior studying the­ology and a columnist on faith and religion.