Administrators from local schools will attend seminar on vaping in Jackson

Home City News Administrators from local schools will attend seminar on vaping in Jackson
Jackson ISD will host “Vaping Solution Room” to equip school administrators with the knowledge to effectively respond to youth vaping. | Flickr

Vaping is growing into a nationwide epidemic for youth, and Hillsdale County is no exception. 

To prevent the trend from continuing in Hillsdale schools, Jackson Intermediate School District is hosting “Vaping Solution Room,” a training seminar for teachers and administrators on Nov. 5 from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. 

Jackson IDS is one of 56 Michigan intermediate school districts and was established in 1962 to provide “student-centered, data-driven solutions and expanded educational opportunities for students and teachers,” according to their website.

Former Jonesville Middle School Principal Eric Swihart is attending the training about vaping in Michigan schools. The focus, he said, will be to “equip school administrators with the knowledge and resources to effectively respond to youth vaping.”

A little over a month ago, vape and tobacco retailers began enforcing the state-wide ban on flavored e-cigarettes. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said the ban is in response to a “public health emergency among kids using vape products,” according to the Detroit Free Press. 

The ban, led by Whitmer, is administered by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

Hillsdale High School Principal Amy Goldsmith said this recent change in Michigan law indicates the magnitude of the vaping issue as it affects youth across the nation. 

“The marketing of vapes, juuls, and other e-cigarettes have specifically targeted the teenage demographic,” Goldsmith said. “Most schools, including ours, have incorporated lessons into the health curriculum to educate about the dangers.”

The Nov. 5 programming is specifically for school administrators, state experts, community partners, and law enforcement. This will help leaders become equipped to educate youth and families on how to prevent and quit vaping, in addition to providing information regarding the health risks and institutional consequences, Goldsmith said. 

The seminar is among other steps the county is taking to limit youth vaping. Goldsmith said there is also a new program in Hillsdale County schools, called “Prime for Life,” that educates first time vaping offenders.