When the New York Times released an article this weekend detailing another alle­gation against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, they forgot to mention one key fact: the alleged victim could not recall whether the event even hap­pened.

The piece doc­u­mented a third alle­gation, made by Deborah Ramirez, of Kavanaugh com­mitting sexual mis­conduct during his college years. The New York Times later added an editor’s note to the bottom of the story, which was titled ‘Brett Kavanaugh Fit In With the Priv­i­leged Kids. She Did Not.”

“An earlier version of this article, which was adapted from a forth­coming book, did not include one element of the bok’s account regarding an assertion by a Yale classmate,” the editor’s note said. “The book reports that the female student declined to be inter­viewed and friends say she does not recall the incident.”

It was so bad that even CNN pointed out the “high-profile blunders,” which they say began in 2016 fol­lowing James Bennett’s appointment as editor of the New York Times’ opinion section.

Though the Dow Jour­nalism Program at Hillsdale College teaches stu­dents ethical jour­nalism, we fail at times, too. We mis­spell names. We give incorrect titles. We might get a number wrong here or there. And when we make these mis­takes, we apol­ogize ad, if nec­essary, run a cor­rection to the article. To the best of our abil­ities, we convey to the readers both the correct infor­mation, as well as our sincere apologies for mis­in­forming them.

But the New York Times didn’t make a mistake. The outlet inten­tionally uses its platform to mis­inform the public, to dele­git­imize a Supreme Court justice with unsub­stan­tiated alle­ga­tions, and to rewrite history with a sour, leftist twist.

The job of media is to tell the truth. And the New York Times inten­tionally did not tell the truth.