SAB will be holding a Maker’s Market | Wiki­media Commons

The Student Activ­ities Board is putting together Hillsdale College’s first Maker’s Market this Sat­urday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. 

“The Maker’s Market is essen­tially like a student version of a farmers’ market,” SAB Pro­mo­tions Team Leader Ian Brown said. “It’s for stu­dents and people who are asso­ciated with the college that if they have fun crafts or they bake stuff and want to sell it, they can.” 

The event will take place in front of Central Hall, but if it rains, the market will be relo­cated to the colonnade in front of the library. Stu­dents can sign up as vendors by sub­mitting the form linked on the SAB newsletter. 

“One of the new members for SAB really thought it would be a good idea to bring a farmers market to Hillsdale,” Small Events Team Leader Claire Lupini said. 

Sophomore Reagan Linde, a member of SAB’s cre­ative team, said she came up with the idea when she was inspired by other farmers’ markets and wanted to bring that to campus.

“Last spring we met as an SAB team to come up with unique events to do during the next school year. As I was thinking through events, I kept thinking about my local farmers market and about how much I love the local vendors — crepe-makers, kom­bucha-brewers, handmade soaps, etc.,” Linde said. “I thought that the Maker’s Market at Hillsdale would be a great oppor­tunity to hold a farmers’-market-esque event to really showcase the talents of the student body.”

Orig­i­nally, Linde said she thought about part­nering with the City of Hillsdale’s farmers’ market, but now she said she’s excited to have this be a student-based event. 

“I am so excited to see what the stu­dents have come up with. It’s a great way to bring a taste of city life onto campus for stu­dents who haven’t made their way to the local market,” she said. “It should be a great way to spend your Sat­urday morning.”

There are cur­rently 15 vendors reg­is­tered, but people can still sign up through the SAB newsletter. All of the pro­ceeds from the Maker’s Market will go directly to the vendors for selling their own goods. Pay­ments can be made with cash, and some vendors will accept Venmo.