Native American flute recital will include visual component, dynamics

Home Culture Native American flute recital will include visual component, dynamics
Native American flute recital will  include visual component, dynamics
Rich Illman and Hari Kern will perform a dynamic concert, including Native American flute music. Pictured: Native American flute. | Wikimedia Commons

Rich Illman, accompanied by Hari Kern, will be coming to Hillsdale to perform a concert filled with various artistic dynamics, and go beyond the listening aspect of music by adding a visual component.

During the recital, Illman will perform music with a trumpet, Flugelhorn, and a Native American Flute. Kern will accompany him on the piano. Illman plans to provide viewers with a combination of live music and digital audio effects, to engage them to interact with the music in a new way, with the addition of sound and light. 

Illman taught the trumpet at Michigan State University for 15 years, also teaching at the University of Kentucky, the University of Eastern Kentucky, Transylvania University and Asbury College. Additionally, he was part of the Lansing Symphony Band, Millenium Brass, until he retired in 2016. Illman was also known for going to elementary schools and encouraging kids to get interested in music. He also co-authored a book, “Yoga for Musicians.” 

Hari Kern was raised in Calgary, Alberta in Canada. After learning piano at a young age, she played two concerts on piano for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at 14 years old. She studied at Chicago Musical College, Julliard’s Preparatory Schools, and Ithaca College, where she earned a bachelors’ of music in piano performance.

Through the years, Kern has given private lessons and done solo and chamber music performances. Kern and Illman used their experience teaching and performing music to present  multimedia performances unlike anything most audiences have experienced.

The performance will take place at Hillsdale in the Conrad Recital Hall Friday Sept. 13 at 8 p.m.