The Hillsdale Family Video on E. Car­leton Road will close Sept. 30. Julia Mullins | Col­legian

The Family Video store on E. Car­leton Road in Hillsdale will be closing its doors on Monday, Sept. 30. Every­thing at the store is being sold at liq­ui­dation prices until Sept. 29. 

The parent company of Family Video, Highland Ven­tures Ltd., will con­tinue to own the building but will lease the space out to Dollar General, according to Jason Yuhasz, the regional director of oper­a­tions for Family Video.

Yuhasz added that Dollar General offered to lease the building for a long-term period. 

“Dollar General leases several buildings from Family Video,” Yuhasz said. “It was a several-building deal.” 

Yuhasz said Family Video employees “cer­tainly had a sus­picion” that Dollar General was inter­ested in the building. 

Tiffany Dunn, who has been the manager at Hillsdale’s Family Video for 2 1/2 years, said she and the other employees began hearing rumors three or four months ago.

“We kept asking cor­porate and they kept denying it,” Dunn said. “My boss was asking, and people at cor­porate would say every­thing is fine.”

The Col­legian reached out to Family Video’s cor­porate offices, but they declined to comment. 

A couple of weeks ago, Dollar General waived a con­tin­gency on that property and then pro­ceeded to a rental agreement, according to Yuhasz. Family Video employees, however, found out about the agreement before Highland Ven­tures could make an official statement. 

“A couple of Dollar General employees came in and talked to the Family Video staff,” Yuhasz said. “We like to keep these things under control.” 

Annie Fair­banks, an employee at Family Video, said she and her coworkers were not told the store would be closing until Monday, Sept. 16. 

“The regional manager denied we were selling and then dropped it on our dis­trict manager,” Fair­banks said. “We started selling the next day.” 

Yuhasz said the video business did not decline in the Hillsdale area. Rather, Dollar General was inter­ested in the space for strategic reasons.

“It was a real estate move,” Yuhasz said. “It had nothing to do with the per­for­mance of that store or the staff. Hillsdale has been a great com­munity for us.” 

Although the Family Video in Hillsdale is closing, Yuhasz said employees may have the option to transfer to other nearby loca­tions such as Cold­water, Jackson, and Adrian. 

Dunn added that all of the employees enjoyed working at Family Video. 

“All of us will miss the people,” Dunn said. “And the kids that came down from the college; the football players and the baseball players — we would ask if they won their games. I think what we will miss most is all the cus­tomers.”