The future location of Gordmans in the 280 West Car­leton Road plaza in Hillsdale. Julia Mullins | Col­legian

Gordmans Department Store will make its Hillsdale debut on Sept. 17.

The apparel and home decor retailer will replace Peebles in the 280 West Car­leton Road plaza. 

During the grand opening of the store, Gordmans will present a $1,000 check to Hillsdale High School, an effort meant to under­score the store’s com­mitment to local com­mu­nities. 

The store’s launch is part of the broader “Gordmans Grand Opening Tour Cel­e­bration,” an ini­tiative that includes the opening of 17 Gordmans stores across the country in Sep­tember. 

Ten of the new stores are in Michigan, and each will receive a $1,000 check for their local high school.

“Gordmans has con­tributed more than $1 million to public school systems throughout the states in which it operates,” Brand Pub­licity Manager Blakeley Graham said. “As part of this com­mitment, Gordmans is proud to support Hillsdale High School with a $1,000 check.” 

Amy Gold­smith, the prin­cipal of Hillsdale High School said the school is looking forward to the grand-opening and is grateful for the gen­erosity of Gordmans. 

“The Hillsdale High School marching band will be there to join in the cel­e­bration and music director Dr. Keith Rushing will accept the donation,” Gold­smith said in an email. 

Gold­smith added that the $1,000 check will go to a band instrument fund that the Hillsdale County Com­munity Foun­dation estab­lished to buy and repair instru­ments for stu­dents in need. 

Michael Glazer, pres­ident and CEO of Stage, the company that owns Gordmans, said in a press release that Gordmans is “excited to be part of 10 new Michigan com­mu­nities and support their high schools.”

Gordmans is known as a department store which offers products for people of all ages, at the lowest pos­sible prices.

“At Gordmans, we have put the fun back into shopping by cre­ating an exciting store where ter­rific deals, fun finds, and popular name brands are at every turn,” Glazer said. “This means excep­tional values on mer­chandise for all ages and on-trend décor for the home. Fresh new mer­chandise deliv­eries arrive weekly in our stores, cre­ating the thrill of a great find.” 

Gordmans’ dis­counted prices are the reason for the influx of store openings. 

“Stage has been con­verting a number of its stores because con­sumers are responding pos­i­tively to Gordmans’ off-price offerings,” Graham said. “This store is one of 17 new Gordmans stores opening Sept. 17. By the end of the year, there will be over 150 Gordmans across the country.” 

The Hillsdale Gordmans’ grand opening will take place at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 17. It will begin with a ribbon-cutting where the retailer will present Hillsdale High School with the check. 

Res­i­dents are invited to attend, “joining city and chamber of com­merce rep­re­sen­ta­tives in each city before stepping inside the new store to dis­cover the fun finds and great deals,” according to a press release.