Gordmans department store prepares for grand opening

Home City News Gordmans department store prepares for grand opening
The future location of Gordmans in the 280 West Carleton Road plaza in Hillsdale. Julia Mullins | Collegian

Gordmans Department Store will make its Hillsdale debut on Sept. 17.

The apparel and home decor retailer will replace Peebles in the 280 West Carleton Road plaza. 

During the grand opening of the store, Gordmans will present a $1,000 check to Hillsdale High School, an effort meant to underscore the store’s commitment to local communities. 

The store’s launch is part of the broader “Gordmans Grand Opening Tour Celebration,” an initiative that includes the opening of 17 Gordmans stores across the country in September. 

Ten of the new stores are in Michigan, and each will receive a $1,000 check for their local high school.

“Gordmans has contributed more than $1 million to public school systems throughout the states in which it operates,” Brand Publicity Manager Blakeley Graham said. “As part of this commitment, Gordmans is proud to support Hillsdale High School with a $1,000 check.” 

Amy Goldsmith, the principal of Hillsdale High School said the school is looking forward to the grand-opening and is grateful for the generosity of Gordmans. 

“The Hillsdale High School marching band will be there to join in the celebration and music director Dr. Keith Rushing will accept the donation,” Goldsmith said in an email. 

Goldsmith added that the $1,000 check will go to a band instrument fund that the Hillsdale County Community Foundation established to buy and repair instruments for students in need. 

Michael Glazer, president and CEO of Stage, the company that owns Gordmans, said in a press release that Gordmans is “excited to be part of 10 new Michigan communities and support their high schools.”

Gordmans is known as a department store which offers products for people of all ages, at the lowest possible prices.

“At Gordmans, we have put the fun back into shopping by creating an exciting store where terrific deals, fun finds, and popular name brands are at every turn,” Glazer said. “This means exceptional values on merchandise for all ages and on-trend décor for the home. Fresh new merchandise deliveries arrive weekly in our stores, creating the thrill of a great find.” 

Gordmans’ discounted prices are the reason for the influx of store openings. 

“Stage has been converting a number of its stores because consumers are responding positively to Gordmans’ off-price offerings,” Graham said. “This store is one of 17 new Gordmans stores opening Sept. 17. By the end of the year, there will be over 150 Gordmans across the country.” 

The Hillsdale Gordmans’ grand opening will take place at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 17. It will begin with a ribbon-cutting where the retailer will present Hillsdale High School with the check. 

Residents are invited to attend, “joining city and chamber of commerce representatives in each city before stepping inside the new store to discover the fun finds and great deals,” according to a press release.