CSG hosted their second annual Pol­itics and Policy mixer | Courtesy CSG

Hillsdale’s policy groups and political orga­ni­za­tions from both sides of the aisle gathered for Cit­izens for Self-Governance’s second annual Pol­itics and Policy mixer last Thursday.  

CSG pres­ident, senior Emily Heubaum, created the event last year when she was the club’s mar­keting chair. As a new orga­ni­zation on campus, she saw the group’s need for better com­mu­ni­cation and col­lab­o­ration between CSG and Hillsdale College’s other polit­i­cally-ori­ented clubs. She also made the event open to non-club members, giving them  an oppor­tunity to check out the college’s political orga­ni­za­tions and share free pizza and soda. 

“We wanted to promote an envi­ronment of civility and coop­er­ation and part­nership when it comes to bigger events. Since we were new, we thought it would be a good way to do that,” Heubam said. 

Heubaum said after last year’s event, CSG part­nered with other clubs and orga­ni­za­tions throughout the school year to put on events and bring speakers to campus. Eight orga­ni­za­tions — College Repub­licans, College Democrats, The Fed­er­alist Society, Stu­dents for Life, the Alexander Hamilton Society, Young Amer­icans for Freedom, Young Amer­icans for Liberty, and Cit­izens for Self-Gov­er­nance— had the oppor­tunity to mix and meet with more than 100 stu­dents who attended the event. 

“A lot of the other clubs reached out to me to put it on again because they had such a good time, got more club members, and developed new rela­tion­ships with other clubs,” Heubaum said.

Heubaum said CSG made a point to invite College Democrats, because the group is often left out. 

“One of the most inter­esting things we see here is people coming to talk to College Dems,” Heubaum said. “People like to come in to talk to them and hear their per­spective instead of shoving them off to the side and pre­tending like they don’t exist.” 

College Democrats Vice Pres­ident, junior Katherine Wilkins, said the mixer pro­vides her club with more vis­i­bility to other stu­dents on campus. 

“We really appre­ciated being invited,” Wilkins said. “Some­times people pretend that we’re not an actual group. We are all for bipar­ti­sanship, so having this oppor­tunity to hang out with each other and eat pizza is great.” 

When Hillsdale’s chapter of The Fed­er­alist Society began three years ago, it was only the second under­graduate chapter in the country. The Fed­er­alist Society is not a political group, as Pres­ident and junior Dan Grif­ferty clar­ified, but is instead about public policy.

“We are not a political group, we are about public policy,” Grif­ferty said. “We’re about teaching people to interpret the Con­sti­tution in the way it was meant to be inter­preted by the founders.”  

In addition to helping stu­dents get into law school, the group brings in speakers. He said The Fed­er­alist Society’s greater exposure across campus has helped the group to bring in notable speakers, like Federal Com­mu­ni­ca­tions Com­mission chairman Ajit Pai. 

Freshman Mav­erick Delp said she came to check out the groups and eat pizza. 

“I heard about this event in the union on the way to lunch from a couple of stu­dents that were in these clubs,” she said. “I came to check out Young Amer­icans for Freedom and Hillsdale College Stu­dents for Life.”

Though the political affil­i­a­tions of each group are dif­ferent, Heubaum said the groups have a common goal: edu­cating stu­dents in cit­i­zenship. 

“We are really happy this is hap­pening again and that other clubs really wanted this to happen,” Heubaum said. “We all want to be respon­sible cit­izens that are involved in our own self-gov­er­nance and that’s what we are all here to do.”