Sophomore Adam Wier races at Calvin College (Calli Townsend | Col­legian)

Tell me a little about yourself.

I’m from Lex­ington, Ken­tucky. I have three older brothers, so I’m the youngest – the baby of the family. I went to a private high school and I started running when I was a freshman in high school, and I’ve done that ever since. All my brothers went there too. My mom and dad were both born in Ken­tucky.

What inspired you to start running?

My brother Aaron started running, and we were both soccer players growing up. But he started running and then my dad said I was going to do running – they didn’t really give me a choice! So that summer of my freshman year, I started running. Aaron and I were on the same team for two years, and I really enjoyed it. So I kept at it and I got a lot better, and our team had a lot of success. Actually, we went to a few state cham­pi­onships, so we had a lot of fun.

What brought you to Hillsdale?

So I came to Hillsdale because I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do, and I wanted to give the liberal arts per­spective a try. And as cliché as that is, I wanted to kind of under­stand what actually interests me in school. I’ve been chasing the sci­ences here and getting a wide grasp of classes and trying to see what I really like the most. Right now, I think I’ll do either physics or chem­istry – maybe mate­rials engi­neering or chemical engi­neering. I’m not sure yet.

What has been your favorite class so far?

Dr. Hayes [of the Physics department] is a dif­ferent kind of teacher. He wants you to succeed, but he really pri­or­i­tizes getting the con­cepts down over just doing math problems. So the class was really dif­ficult, we had two labs a week, and that was the hardest part. But under­standing the con­cepts made it so awesome, when they finally click in your head. We did elec­tricity and mag­netism and I just thought that was so cool.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Spare time? I don’t have a lot of that right now. I enjoy reading just nor­mally some­times. I’m a big Tolkien fan, so Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and I’ll read political books too. Every summer I get a few because I kind of have a side interest in pol­itics. Some­times I’ll just go and nap. Maybe I’ll play video games every now and then.

What moti­vates you to keep going when you’re exhausted?

It’s some­thing about being on my team with a bunch of guys who are doing the same things you’re doing. We’re all there because we’re really moti­vated to run and to work as a unit, and we really endure a lot of pain for each other. It’s really special when you’re on the line with a bunch of guys who are ready to do whatever it takes to win.

What goes through your mind during a race?

When you get to the harder parts, you’re really trying to get your mind off running because, you know, your legs are hurting. Or you’re thinking, ‘Oh, wow, this is really tough right now.’ Some­times if it’s cross country, you can just focus on the course ahead of you or focus on your com­petitors. Track racing is a lot harder for me than cross country because you’re just on an oval the whole time.

Tell me about some high­lights from last season.

So the last cross country season I was pretty worried going in because it was my first season. I was walking on, there were a bunch of guys I didn’t know. But a high­light was just getting to know my team a lot better and racing at the Regional meet. We hosted it here at Hayden Park. That was awesome because it was the perfect atmos­phere, it was just starting to snow a little bit, and it was on our home course. I really had a great race that day. It was my first 10K.

What are your goals for next season? What are you most looking forward to?

Well, our big team goal is to make it to Nationals for cross country. We have to race a lot of G‑MAC schools, which is our con­ference. So Walsh, Malone…but they’re pretty good, so we really have to fight to get to the top five. We’re really trying to get there because the girls have been there the last few years.

What advice would you give to freshman who are trying to combine sports and aca­d­emics at Hillsdale?

You really have to stay moti­vated all the time, and you need to pri­or­itize. So when you need to study, you need to sit down and study. It’s okay to do it with your friends some­times and study as a group and mess around. But some­times you need to just go to the library and work for a few hours on your own. It’s sad to hear, but when you have hard classes you have to do that. You have to get sleep too, unfor­tu­nately. Back in high school I used to just stay up late all the time, doing work and stuff and I really suf­fered because of that. So in college, I really pri­or­itize getting more sleep. In the end, when you can perform well aca­d­e­m­i­cally and ath­let­i­cally, it’s a great feeling.