Stu­dents at Career Ser­vice’s Annual Job Fair | Facebook

Stu­dents will have the oppor­tunity to meet face-to-face with potential employers at the fourth annual all-campus job fair hosted by Career Ser­vices. The fair is set for Friday, Sep­tember 27, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Searle Center.

The job fair is a way for Career Ser­vices to market Hillsdale stu­dents to employers, which can be par­tic­u­larly dif­ficult for Hillsdale stu­dents, according to Student Affairs Mentor and junior Therese Ens.

“It’s hard when you’re in the middle of nowhere to get the oppor­tunity to connect one-on-one with employers,” she said.

It also allows employers to under­stand the high caliber of Hillsdale stu­dents. Ens said the employers who come to the fair are looking specif­i­cally for stu­dents with a liberal arts degree and come actively recruiting Hillsdale grad­uates and current stu­dents.

While career ser­vices hosts a clas­sical school job fair toward the end of the spring semester, this is the only job fair of the year which wel­comes stu­dents of any career interest.

Stu­dents can reg­ister for the fair on Hand­shake up until the day of the event, but Ens rec­om­mends preparing as early as pos­sible. If they have time, she said it would be best for stu­dents to research the employers who will be attending, but at the very minimum stu­dents ought to bring their resume into Career Ser­vices for editing. Stu­dents can then come with copies of their pol­ished resume to the job fair. They are also encouraged to dress business formal to the event.

According to Director of Employer Rela­tions Johnny Quint, about a quarter are returning busi­nesses, such as General Motors, Stryker, and Quicken Loans.

Quint said the job hunt can be frus­trating when you’re one of many in a pool of appli­cants, so making a con­nection prior to applying for a job helps stu­dents stand out. Forming human inter­action with potential employers increases the like­lihood of making it from the resume phase to the interview phase.

In order for the inter­action to be most mem­o­rable and pos­itive, Quint said stu­dents need to know some­thing about the company. Looking over employers on Hand­shake will benefit stu­dents in dis­cussion. Rather than stu­dents asking employers what they do, employers want to see you know what they do and will ask stu­dents about their interests and abil­ities.

Kevin Curby ‘19 secured his job as an asso­ciate banker at Quicken Loans through attending the job fair last fall. He said the fair pro­vided him the first step to what is now his post-graduate career.

“The career fair gives you an excellent oppor­tunity to meet people who might end up giving you a job and help you begin your career,” Curby said.

In addition to the 44 employers who will be at the job fair, there will also be five graduate school pro­grams and 12 law schools. All are listed on Hand­shake.