Joe Walsh speaks at the Allan P. Kirby Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies & States­manship. | Courtesy Hillsdale College Mar­keting Dept.

Joe Walsh will not be pres­ident in 2020. No matter what happens, Joe Walsh will not win the pres­i­dential election.

His recent decision to run for the Repub­lican Party nom­i­nation, however, would cer­tainly help pave the way to 1600 Penn­syl­vania Ave. for former Vice Pres­ident Joe Biden, Sen. Kamala Harris, D‑Calif., Sen. Eliz­abeth Warren, D‑Mass., or Sen. Bernie Sanders, I‑Vt..

Two pres­i­dential incum­bents in recent history have faced primary chal­lenges: Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush. Both can­di­dates won the primary but lost the general election.

One might make the point that Carter and Bush would lose anyway, as Carter’s support had dropped to nearly 50% in his own party and Bush was dwin­dling below 75% among his party members. That is, they had lost or were losing their base of support.

Trump, however, does not have this issue. Polls show that Trump main­tains a high level of support within the GOP, usually showing any­where from 90 – 94%. So does Walsh expect to rally the roughly 6% of Repub­licans who don’t approve of Trump to over­whelm the rest of the party and carry him to victory?

It would be hard to imagine that even Walsh thinks he can do this. In his Op-Ed in The New York Times, Walsh broke out many of the familiar talking points against Trump. He focused on the President’s tem­perament, claiming he sows division. He also said Trump is owned by Russia —a theory thus far proved to be unsub­stan­tiated.

Walsh also touched on critical issues for con­ser­v­a­tives, namely the rising national debt and tariffs. Con­ser­v­a­tives can and probably will argue about tariffs until we’re all blue in the face, but the rising national debt is one thing almost all con­ser­v­a­tives can agree must be addressed.

The Trump admin­is­tration is hardly the first con­ser­v­ative admin­is­tration to see the debt rise. The debt also rose under Reagan and during Walsh’s time in Con­gress. The Trump admin­is­tration has gar­nered many vic­tories for con­ser­v­a­tives in its three years. Trump appointed two con­ser­v­ative Supreme Court jus­tices and 146 federal judges as of Aug. 25. The economy under Trump has been fan­tastic and has reached a point where we now have more job openings than unem­ployed people — a sit­u­ation people would have merely dreamed about when Walsh was elected to Con­gress in 2011. The Trump admin­is­tration has slashed reg­u­la­tions, cutting two for every one it pro­poses.

In his Op-Ed, Walsh wrote that there is no place in our country for per­sonal attacks, yet his website and Twitter account are full of per­sonal attacks on the Pres­ident and next to no policy sug­ges­tions.

Trump will win in a primary against Walsh. Trump’s 94% Repub­lican support and incum­bency will assure his victory over another Repub­lican can­didate. Walsh’s can­didacy empowers the increas­ingly left-leaning Demo­c­ratic can­di­dates, nearly all of whom have promised expansive gov­ernment pro­grams.

Demo­c­ratic can­di­dates and their sup­ports have pro­posed court-packing, gun con­fis­cation, tax hikes, uni­versal or single-payer healthcare, and some have even began demanding ret­ri­bu­tions. Good luck getting the national debt any lower with them.

Joe Walsh either has absolutely no political pru­dence or he is self-right­eously grand­standing in hopes that this stunt will somehow benefit him. In doing so, he is putting a variety of issues that he pro­fesses to care about at serious risk.