David Graham hurdles a defender during Hillsdale’s second-round playoff game against Notre Dame College last November. Graham has rushed for 34 touch­downs in the past two seasons. (Picture: S. Nathaniel Grime | Col­legian)

After a 10-win season that included a con­ference cham­pi­onship and a berth in the second round of the 2018 NCAA Division II Playoffs, the Hillsdale College Chargers are favored to repeat in 2019 as cham­pions of the Great Midwest Ath­letic Con­ference.

A poll con­ducted among the eight head coaches in the G-MAC yielded six first-place votes for Hillsdale, and two first-place votes for the Uni­versity of Findlay. Findlay fin­ished the 2018 season in a three-way tie for second place with a 6 – 2 con­ference record. The Chargers were a perfect 8 – 0 in the G-MAC last year.

Ohio Dominican Uni­versity and Tiffin Uni­versity shared second place in 2018 with Findlay, and fin­ished second and fourth overall in the pre­season poll, respec­tively. 

Hillsdale also enters the season in the American Football Coaches Asso­ci­ation national rankings at No. 19 in Division II. Head coach Keith Otterbein, who was named G-MAC Coach of the Year last season, said that although the team acknowl­edges the recog­nition and expec­ta­tions placed upon it before the year begins, it doesn’t affect how the Chargers will prepare to play from week to week.

“Our expec­ta­tions were the same wherever they picked us. It really doesn’t matter,” Otterbein said. “Our expec­ta­tions each week are to play one down at a time and play hard. If we do what we’re sup­posed to do, winning takes care of itself.” 

A hallmark of Hillsdale’s 10 – 3 cham­pi­onship team last year was its ability to channel its focus on the next snap, the next play, and the next down instead of getting caught up in the wider context of a par­ticular game or the season as a whole.

“If we have our own focus and play with great effort and passion, good things happen,” Otterbein said. “We try not to get dis­tracted; don’t spend time patting our­selves on the back for things we’ve done in the past. Every­thing we get this year we’re gonna earn. Nothing is given.”

Entering training camp this summer, the biggest question for the Chargers was who would be the team’s starting quar­terback in 2019. Gone is Chance Stewart, who started 41 games in the past four seasons as the team’s signal-caller.

Stewart threw for a career-high 38 touch­downs and 3,588 yards in his senior season, and was named the G-MAC’s Player of the Year in 2018. His favorite target in the passing game was Trey Brock, who in his senior season broke program records for recep­tions, receiving touch­downs, and receiving yards.

Without the his­toric com­bi­nation of Stewart and Brock, the starting quar­terback position was wide open as camp began. Otterbein said he was pleased with the level of com­pe­tition, and ulti­mately red­shirt freshman Luke Keller emerged as the choice to lead the offense. Keller will take his first snap in a college football game on Sept. 7 when the Chargers open their season hosting Michigan Tech Uni­versity.

“I came into camp focused on com­peting, focusing on doing what’s best for the team, doing my job, letting things fall into place,” Keller said. “I knew it was gonna be hard work and wasn’t gonna come easy.  It was good com­pe­tition; everybody was bat­tling. There was a lot of support from team­mates.”

Keller attended Guerin Catholic High School in Noblesville, Indiana, where he was named the team’s Offensive Player of the Year in his senior season and earned Second-Team All-County honors. Keller describes himself as a “pro-style quar­terback” who will throw from the pocket and rely on the mental aspect of the game to read defenses and execute accord­ingly.

Although Keller won’t have Brock to target in the passing game, the offense returns mul­tiple play­makers in the air and on the ground. Senior running back David Graham will get the bulk of the carries in the running game. Graham has rushed for 34 touch­downs and nearly 2,000 yards in his last two seasons as the team’s starting running back.

Among the wide receivers, junior K.J. Maloney figures to be the top target. Maloney was second behind Brock on the team in recep­tions, receiving yards, and receiving touch­downs in 2018. Sophomore wide receiver Alec Foos will take on an increased role in the passing game after playing in all 13 games last year.

“We have a lot of play­makers on our side of the ball; a lot of returning players that have had a big impact on the team and won a G-MAC cham­pi­onship last year,” Keller said. “I know I’ve got people up front and in the skill posi­tions who have been there before. We have a lot of key players coming back.”

Defen­sively, Hillsdale led the con­ference in points allowed per game (19.6) and inter­cep­tions (18) in 2018. Despite losing key players like defensive back Wyatt Bat­dorff, defensive lineman Zach Van­Valkenburg, and line­backer Jay Rose, Otterbein believes the defense should be able to replicate its success from a year ago.

“You lose some impact guys, but the same is the case on offense,” Otterbein said. “The oppor­tunity to step up col­lec­tively and play at a high level is there despite losing some indi­vidual talent.”

Otterbein said he’s been pleased with the defense’s work during training camp at flying to the ball and lim­iting big plays, which were two keys to the unit’s success in 2018.

“I like our speed. The last couple of years, one of the dif­fer­ences to elevate our pro­duc­tivity has been in the sec­ondary having a few more guys that can run. We’ve got some guys that can play in space,” Otterbein said. “They’re playing aggres­sively. We’re able to stand up and not give up big chunks. If we take care of the ball and get it back with our defense, that’ll be critical to our overall success.”

The Chargers begin the 2019 season at home on Sat­urday, Sept. 7, when they host Michigan Tech Uni­versity for a 1 p.m. kickoff. The Huskies went 4 – 6 in 2018, but defeated Hillsdale early in the season, 31 – 30, in a double overtime affair in the Upper Peninsula. The Chargers rattled off eight con­sec­utive con­ference wins after that deflating loss.

In week two, Hillsdale travels to Indiana to play the Uni­versity of Indi­anapolis, ranked No. 16 in the AFCA pre­season poll after going 10 – 2 and also clinching a berth in round two of the Division II playoffs in 2018. The Grey­hounds defeated the Chargers in Indi­anapolis in the regular season finale last year, 34 – 24. Playing two of the three teams that handed Hillsdale losses last season will be a welcome chal­lenge for this year’s Chargers.

“You always gotta get off to a good start. We should settle into a pretty good routine by mid­season where we know what kind of football team we are,” Otterbein said. “I like the way the schedule falls. Those first two — even though they’re non-league games — getting off to a good start will be a pretty good chal­lenge for us.” 

I’m excited for the new season after last season’s Cham­pi­onship. We have new faces in the starting lineup, but that’s always the chal­lenge-replacing top starters.

It seems like the QB question has been answered with Luke Keller getting the starting nod, we’ll see how soon we can develop the QB to WR reli­a­bility we had last season with Chance Stewart to Trey Brock. We need 1 or 2 players at WRer to step forward and fill in that opening.

Losing DE Van­Valkenburg to a transfer to Iowa was an unex­pected loss, but we have talent in that sector-someone needs to use the oppor­tunity to make a statement for them­selves.

I hope I can make the Sept 7 game against MTU, my workload has eased a wee bit this year!