Campus Chic: Sheridan Michaud’s city girl style with French flare

Home Features Campus Chic: Sheridan Michaud’s city girl style with French flare
Sheridan Michaud built on her style while abroad last semester, creating her city girl French chic while travelling. Sheridan Michaud | Courtesy

Q: How would you describe your style?

A: It’s a good balance between clean and classic and fun and edgy. One thing I always like about putting outfits together is having a single statement piece that stands out and ties it together. I’d say my style is city girl French chic. I like lots of plain colors. My go-to outfit is a white top, denim with white shoes. I like young and edgy but also clean and minimal.

Q: How do you see Hillsdale influence fashion?

A: The best part about college is experimenting with your style before you enter the professional world and start wearing suits — which are my favorite, I think they’re so fun. I love pants and shoes — I am a huge advocate for power pants. It’s important to learn how to style your clothes because otherwise you’ll look the same as others in the business world. Find one or two things that help you stand out professionally. For me, I love my trench coat. Everyone needs a trench coat. And I think fun shoes make the world go round.

Q: When did you develop your style?

A: I’ve always been developing my style, but last semester, living in Europe gave me the chance to refine it. I was walking 10 to 15 miles per day, so I like comfortable and cute, which is very important in college too because I don’t want to be sitting in lecture halls for five hours in uncomfortable clothing. I’m really thankful for Hillsdale and greek life for introducing more professional casual attire. Prior to college, I had only worked at a bank, so I’ve always been super into two-piece suits and heels for women, but coming here I got to see a lot more color and patterns. College is all about experimentation.

Q: What inspires your fashion?

A: I went to London Fashion week last semester and they were handing out fashion magazines that were so pretty. One of my roommates, Dempsey Ewan, and I went through the fashion spreads and that’s what I used to cover holes in my wall. So I made these really cool collages of different trends, like emerald and dewy orange are super in, and how they all work together to create a really pretty color palette for the season. Something I really like is organizing things until they’re visually pleasing. You can see that on my instagram, the way I design the feed. Once I finished making all of it, I really liked it. I have emerald velvet pillows because that is one of the trends this season. I also enjoyed seeing street style during my time in Europe.