Freshman Lauren Benson (left) and senior Rebecca Holscher (right) pre­sented on chem­istry at Rough Draft. Alexis Daniels | Col­legian

Hilldale’s Sigma Zeta math and science hon­orary, Tri Beta biology hon­orary, and the American Chemical Society came together for an event at Rough Draft on March 30 to answer stu­dents’ most-asked ques­tions.

In the week leading up to the event, the clubs asked stu­dents to submit ques­tions on what they have always wanted to know, promising to deliver answers at Rough Draft. Student members of the clubs created pre­sen­tation boards based on the ques­tions they received and set up in the back of Rough Draft. Some of the ques­tions addressed con­tro­versial topics such as vac­cines and gene editing, while others were basic or random ques­tions such as, ‘Why is the sky blue?’ and ‘How much force would have to be put into slapping a 160-pound freshman for him to go into orbit?’

Senior and Sigma Zeta member Elise Farley pre­sented general infor­mation about vac­cines along with senior and ACS member Christine Aush­erman and senior and Tri Beta member Genevieve Chiara. The pre­sen­tation included common side effects of vac­cines, such as headaches, and rare effects of vac­cines, such as ana­phy­lactic reac­tions. Farley said the goal of the event was to answer ques­tions as well as “bring the science hon­o­raries together to promote sci­en­tific lit­eracy and inter­dis­ci­plinary com­mu­ni­cation.”

“Every year, there are all kinds of ques­tions and con­flicts,” Farley said in an email. “As stu­dents in the sci­ences, we wanted to provide a low pressure, acces­sible way for our peers to find out more about their ques­tions and make truly informed opinions and deci­sions.”

Farley said having Rough Draft as their location was ideal because it allowed them to present their research in a “fun, light­hearted way.”

“Rough Draft was an ideal location because it is a small business started and operated by Hillsdale alumni and stu­dents,” Farley said. “It also offers a cozy and light­hearted space and a variety of food and bev­erages that suit a wide range of people.”

Senior Rebecca Holscher pre­sented general ques­tions on chem­istry with freshman Lauren Benson such as how acid works and the best element on the Periodic Table (“which was Bismuth,” Holscher said).

“The whole thing overall was a way to answer ques­tions people had about science that some­times are hard to research if you don’t know sci­en­tific jargon,” she said, “so it was a middle step for people.”

Junior Nate Gipe helped present ques­tions on human anatomy with seniors Eliz­abeth Palmer, Dan Thiery, and Mason Clutter. He said the main goal of their pre­sen­tation was to get stu­dents inter­ested in the subject.

“I think the goal of our pre­sen­tation was to pique interest in the science of the human body, and science in general,” Gipe said in an email. “We espe­cially wanted to reach non-science majors who maybe haven’t taken a lot of science classes at Hillsdale.”

Gipe said he thought stu­dents inter­acted with and learned a lot from the pre­senters.

“I think we all loved the expe­rience; you get to learn some really fas­ci­nating stuff in a really fas­ci­nating envi­ronment,” he said. “So we were all inter­ested in sharing some of that with the rest of campus.”