Freshman Brian Hackman plays at home earlier this season. (S. Nathaniel Grime | Col­legian)

After winning three straight at the beginning of April, the Hillsdale College Chargers dropped both matches over the weekend on the road against Tiffin Uni­versity and the Uni­versity of Findlay. The Chargers are now 13 – 7, 3 – 2 in G-MAC play.

On April 6, the Chargers faced off against Spring Arbor Uni­versity. After winning each doubles match to clinch the first point, the Chargers went on to win five of six singles matches, ending the match 6 – 1.

Though the Chargers won by a large margin, five of the six singles matches were close calls. Senior Jerry Hewitt did par­tic­u­larly well at no. 5 singles, winning in two quick sets, 6 – 1, 6 – 0.

The fol­lowing day, the Chargers blanked Ken­tucky Wes­leyan, 7 – 0. Hillsdale recorded 6 – 0 sets in every match versus Ken­tucky Wes­leyan. Senior John Ciraci, freshman Brian Hackman, and Hewitt won all of their matches without dropping a game.

The Chargers only dropped two points throughout the entire match. Hackman said it gave the team con­fi­dence looking forward to two important con­ference matches against Tiffin Uni­versity and the Uni­versity of Findlay.

Hackman added that the team has been strug­gling with doubles play lately. He stressed the impor­tance of winning doubles. “It gives us a sense of momentum going into singles,” he said.

But that momentum didn’t hold this weekend, which fea­tured strong winds and tougher com­pe­tition. The Chargers were blanked by Tiffin, though each match was decided by a close margin.

The next day, the Chargers were unable to bounce back in a 1 – 4 loss to Findlay. Szabo edged out his opponent on the no. 4 court to come out on top 6 – 4, 7 – 5 for the Chargers’ only point of the match.

Senior John Ciraci played a close match in his three-set loss on the no. 3 court. After taking the opening set 6 – 4, he dropped the second set at the very end and couldn’t get back on top in the third.

Before the post­season, the Chargers have home matches on Friday and Sat­urday against Northwood and Cedarville Uni­ver­sities.