Mollie Hem­ingway and her husband, Mark, taught a two-week seminar at Hillsdale College during the spring 2016 semester as the Dow Jour­nalism Pulliam Fellows. Col­legian Archives

Mollie Hem­ingway, senior editor at The Fed­er­alist and Fox News con­tributor, will join the Allan P. Kirby Jr. Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies and States­manship staff next fall as a jour­nalism pro­fessor.

As part of the ongoing project to expand Hillsdale’s campus in Wash­ington, D.C., Hem­ingway has been hired to teach jour­nalism classes for stu­dents in the Wash­ington-Hillsdale Internship Program. This gives stu­dents, including those working toward a jour­nalism minor, the oppor­tunity to take jour­nalism courses for credit while in Wash­ington.

“I’m excited to help stu­dents figure out career oppor­tu­nities,” Hem­ingway said in an email. “Of the many changes in life, tran­si­tioning from one’s studies to pro­fes­sional life can be par­tic­u­larly chal­lenging. I’m so appre­ciative of those who helped me with that process, and am glad I can help others.”

Hem­ingway, a senior editor at The Fed­er­alist and a con­tributor at Fox News, grad­uated from the Uni­versity of Col­orado in 1997 with a bachelor’s degree in eco­nomics. Hem­ingway began her jour­nalism career at Radio & Records, a pub­li­cation spe­cial­izing in the radio and music indus­tries. Along with her work for The Fed­er­alist, Hem­ingway has been pub­lished in many national papers, including the Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, and CNN. She has been on Hillsdale’s campus for sem­inars and other events. She and her husband, Mark Hem­ingway, who is also a jour­nalist, taught a Pulliam Fellow class at Hillsdale in 2016.

Hem­ingway ded­i­cated most of her time over the past three months to writing a book on Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s nom­i­nation. Now that Hem­ingway and her co-author Carrie Sev­erino have fin­ished the first full draft of her book, Hem­ingway and Matthew Spalding, asso­ciate vice pres­ident and dean of edu­ca­tional pro­grams for the Kirby Center, are working on a formal con­tract.

Hem­ingway will be a tremendous asset at the Kirby Center, Director of the Dow Jour­nalism Program John Miller said. Hem­ingway will teach stu­dents on WHIP in a formal class setting; the pre­lim­inary plan is to walk through the way she reported for her new book on the Kavanaugh’s nom­i­nation.

“Our aim is to produce well-edu­cated young people who can move imme­di­ately into the pro­fes­sional media and become good jour­nalists,” Spalding said. “We want to teach them how to write well and hone their skills so they know how to inves­tigate a story, follow the facts, dig the dirt, and then put it together in ways that are both credible and com­pelling.”

Hem­ingway will work with stu­dents, par­tic­u­larly those inter­ested in jour­nalism, as a mentor outside of the formal classroom setting as well — for example, stu­dents will have the oppor­tunity to assist Hem­ingway with future research projects.  

“Many of the most important things you can learn aren’t always in the classroom,” Spalding said. “Pru­dence is best learned by doing. So we create oppor­tu­nities and provide mentors for stu­dents to build careers of excel­lence and integrity.”

Hem­ingway will also visit Hillsdale’s main campus reg­u­larly for jour­nalism events.

In the past two years, Hemingway’s reporting on Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s inves­ti­gation into Donald Trump and the 2016 election has brought to light a nar­rative unlike that por­trayed by many in the media — she was skep­tical of Trump’s alleged col­lusion with Russia as well as the popular nar­rative sur­rounding the issue.

According to Spalding, Hemingway’s columns are good because they are well-reported and well-researched.

“In an age where most jour­nalists are really doing the fast and easy thing, Mollie rep­re­sents an older under­standing of jour­nalism,” Spalding said. “Of late, she stands out as one of the few who had the sense to inves­tigate rather than jump on the fash­ionable media cause. She’s a good, honest, respectable jour­nalist — a good model for our stu­dents.”

Miller also attested to the quality of Hemingway’s work.

“Every time you read her, you get some­thing fresh,” Miller said.

Hem­ingway credits her success in jour­nalism to her will­ingness to commit time to research.

“Research is my favorite part of jour­nalism,” she said. “Much of my success as a reporter has been because of my will­ingness to read original doc­u­ments instead of regur­gi­tating talking points about them.”

In addition to her jour­nalism skills, Miller appre­ciates Hemingway’s love for baseball — even though her team, the St. Louis Car­dinals, beat Miller’s team, the Detroit Tigers, in the 2006 World Series.

Spalding looks forward to working with Hem­ingway.

“Net­working at its best is friendship,” Spalding said. “And Mollie is a friend.”

• Chaos Prodigy

Good on Molly. Those kids will be in good hands and hope­fully the future to vibrant fair and bal­anced jour­nalism.

This is a good hire. I’ve enjoyed Ms. Hemingway’s con­tri­bu­tions to ‘The Fed­er­alist’ and WSJ. In an industry where writing poorly researched material is the norm, her stories stand out for their research and thought processes.