Don Tocco to speak on student talents, donate to student clubs

Home News Homepage - News Don Tocco to speak on student talents, donate to student clubs
Don Tocco will be speaking on April 11 at Hillsdale regarding student talents. Collegian Archives

Businessman and philanthropist Don Tocco has contributed thousands of dollars to Hillsdale College student groups and clubs, and Tocco will make his annual visit to campus on Thursday, April 11. Tocco’s donation usually depends on a group’s representation, but he’s added a new twist to the process this year.

“Each student group must write a page or two explaining in detail the mission statement of their group and how they are utilizing income to serve others or advance their cause,” Tocco wrote in an email. “The best 10 letters will receive $750 each to continue on their endeavors.”

Tocco wrote that the best 10 letters will receive $750, and the next 10 will receive $250.

As always, Tocco’s philanthropy accompanies a presentation on leadership. The presentation will take place in the Searle Center on Thursday at 7 p.m. The theme of Tocco’s presentation next week is “Discovering Your God-Given Talents.”

“The American educational process is devoid of a necessary strategy on helping students realize what their true gifts and talents actually might be,” Tocco wrote. “The presentation will be centered around ways we can start to notice and get in touch with our unique abilities and most importantly, figure out how to build a skillset around that talent.”

Tocco is also set to announce that all graduating seniors will receive a copy of his book, “Art of the Journey.”