Student Activ­ities Board’s annual Color Run will feature even more paint and color this year. The event will be held on Sat­urday at Hayden Park. Col­legian Archives

With more color than ever, Student Activ­ities Board’s annual Color Run will take place this Sat­urday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Hayden Park.

Assistant Director of SAB Alexandra Whitford said this event has been a classic on campus since the fall of 2015. In October 2018, however, rough weather meant that the race had to be can­celled.

“Last year we had some unfor­tunate rain — more than rain: it was very stormy beforehand,” SAB Event Coor­di­nator and senior Kelsey Lantis said. “Our vol­un­teers are kind enough to come out and spend their morning throwing paint, so we decided to make that call. But it looks like the weather is coop­er­ating well for this Sat­urday, which I’m excited for.”

The race, which attracts any­where from 100 to 250 stu­dents each year, is not a full 5K — just under three miles — but just a “fun run,” according to Lantis.

Stu­dents who run the race will receive free T‑shirts, and there will be snacks after­wards. Those not inter­ested in running can still par­tic­ipate by signing up in teams of three or more to throw colored paint at the runners during the course of the race.

“Kelsey Lantis is helping to coor­dinate that,” Whitford said, adding that stu­dents can reach out to Lantis to sign up. “You can pick your favorite color, and the best-dressed or most decked-out team will win $100 in gift cards to the restaurant of their choice.”

Lantis said that after the student response to the Glow Run last spring, the SAB staff decided to add face paint to the mix this year.

“This year, we’ve tried to make color more of an emphasis with the design of the course. And then adding body paint — we had the Glow Run last spring, and people loved getting all dolled up with paint all over them­selves, so we wanted to incor­porate that into this too and make it a little more festive,” she said.

SAB coor­di­nated with Hayden Park Fitness Director Bill Lundberg to map out the race course, and stu­dents will be hit with the colored powder eight times throughout the course.

“Overall, it’s really fun. We hope ‘run’ doesn’t intim­idate people from coming out,” Lantis said.

Stu­dents do not need to sign up to run in the Color Run.

“Take the oppor­tunity to get active in the sun­shine with your friends,” Whitford said. “It’s nice to get some energy out as the spring arrives.”