Hillsdale College admin­is­trators and stu­dents will meet Friday to discuss sexual assault pre­vention and other campus safety issue. Pexels

Hillsdale College faculty, local police, and about 10 Hillsdale College stu­dents will meet Friday to discuss student sexual assault and other safety con­cerns and brain­storm ways to make the campus safer.

Calling it a “task force,” Dean of Women Diane Philipp said the meeting has been planned for months in light of con­ver­sa­tions with stu­dents regarding safety this year. Besides Philipp, Chief Admin­is­trative Officer Rich Péwé, Dean of Men Aaron Petersen, Assistant Dean of Men Jeff Rogers, Assistant Dean of Women Rebekah Dell, Director of Campus Security William Whorley, and Asso­ciate Director of Security Joe Kellam will attend the meeting to discuss safety issues with male and female stu­dents and three Hillsdale police officers, including the police chief and the under-sheriff.

“We want to find out in what areas we do well and areas we can improve,” Philipp said. Topics of dis­cussion may include alcohol abuse and sexual assault reporting pro­ce­dures.

After the meeting, Philipp said, the college plans to stay in contact with the student group, develop plans as nec­essary in response to sug­ges­tions, and hold similar focus groups in the future.