Chargers suffer three walk-off losses in tough stretch

Home Charger Softball Chargers suffer three walk-off losses in tough stretch
Dana Weidinger pitches during a game earlier this season. (Julia Mullins, Collegian | Courtesy)

Even after picking up 54 hits, the Hillsdale College Chargers lost five of six games in the last week. Three of the losses were one-run games, all of which were walk-off wins for their opponents. The Chargers are now 16-21 overall and 10-6 in the G-MAC.

Both games scheduled against Alderson Broaddus University on Monday were canceled due to poor field conditions.

Junior shortstop Sam Catron led the Chargers on offense, going 10 for 19 with one home run and six runs batted in.

Catron said she does everything she can to help her teammates when she steps into the box.  

“We’ve been hitting the ball extremely well, and I’m very proud of our team,” Catron said. “To improve we need to get those runs in during pressure situations and not tighten up.”

In the circle, junior pitcher Dana Weidinger earned the only win of the week, with a victory over Davis & Elkins College.

Head coach Kyle Gross said he hopes the team plays with more consistency in its upcoming games.

“We need to play our best ball when it matters most,” Gross said.

Friday, April 12 (Game 1): Saginaw Valley 12, Hillsdale 3

The Chargers picked up seven hits in their first game against the Saginaw Valley State University Cardinals. Catron gave the Chargers’ offense momentum, going 2 for 3 at the plate. Weidinger took her eighth loss of the season on the mound, allowing three runs on five hits in 5 1/3 innings.

Junior utility Erin Gordon, who typically plays first base, came in to pitch during the top of the sixth inning and gave up nine runs on six hits.

Friday, April 12 (Game 2): Saginaw Valley 8, Hillsdale 6

Sophomore outfielder Sarah Wojcik helped get the Chargers’ offense going, as she went 3 for 3 at the plate with her first career home run in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Wojcik said she felt great after hitting the home run.

“I hadn’t been hitting well,” Wojcik said. “I’m glad I finally did good.”

The Chargers scored four runs in the bottom of the fifth inning with singles from freshman infielder Kasidy Carson, sophomore pitcher Natalie Walters, and freshman outfielder Renee Bielawa. Freshman pitcher Julia Sayles earned her third loss of the season after allowing one run on three hits in two innings. Walters came in for relief and faced 29 batters in five innings, allowing seven runs on 10 hits.

Saturday, April 13 (Game 1): Tiffin 7, Hillsdale 6 (10 innings)

After giving up a six-run lead, the Chargers fell to Tiffin in extra innings. Catron led the Chargers on offense going three for four with three singles, a walk, and one groundout. Senior outfielder Katie Kish, sophomore catcher Madison Stoner, and Walters all had one RBI, while senior second baseman Amanda Marra picked up two RBI during the game.

Freshman pitcher Camryn Olson started in the circle for the Chargers and gave up six runs, five of which were unearned, on eight hits. Walters pitched 1 1/3 innings after Olson, and Sayles came in for 1 1/3 innings to finish the game. Sayles picked up her fourth loss of the season after loading the bases in the bottom of the 10th inning and walking in the winning run for Tiffin.

Saturday, April 13 (Game 2): Tiffin 4, Hillsdale 3

In another one-run game with Tiffin, the Chargers fell short in the bottom of the seventh. Senior third baseman Jessica Taylor and Catron both had one double and went two for three at the plate. Catron and Taylor combined for all of the Chargers RBIs. Taylor picked up two RBIs, while Catron picked up one RBI.

Taylor said she focused on driving the outside pitch to the left side of the field.

“I disciplined myself from swinging at any inside pitches,” Taylor said. “Refusing to hit into their defense.”

Walters earned her sixth loss of the season. She faced 28 batters in 6.1 innings and allowed four runs on eight hits.

Tuesday, April 16 (Game 1): Hillsdale 11, Davis & Elkins 0 (5 innings)

Kish and freshman outfielder Anna Dixon led the team on offense. Kish went three for four with two runs and two RBI, while Dixon went three for three with three runs. Catron, Stoner, and junior outfielder Victoria Addis each hit one home run. Weidinger pitched a shutout from the circle, allowing three hits in 20 batters faced.

Tuesday, April 16 (Game 2): Davis & Elkins 4, Hillsdale 3

Weidinger continued pitching for the Chargers in game two and allowed one run on three hits in two innings. Olson came in to pitch during the bottom of the third inning and gave up three runs on four hits. The Chargers were down by two runs going into the top of the seventh, but a double from Dixon cut the deficit in half. An error later in the inning allowed Dixon to score and tie the game.

During the bottom of the seventh, Olson loaded the bases and Davis and Elkins scored on an error by Dixon in centerfield. Taylor was the only Charger to have a multi-hit game, going two for three at the plate with a double.

Up Next

The Chargers will take on Lake Erie College tomorrow at home in a doubleheader with games at 3:30 and 5:30 p.m. On Saturday, the Chargers will celebrate senior day at home in two games with Ursuline at 1:00 and 3:30 p.m. In a non-conference series, the Chargers will play Lawrence Tech at home on April 23 at 3:00 and 5:00 p.m.

With the games this weekend, Catron said the team will need to prepare just like previous games.

“The past weekend is over,” Catron said. “We can move on and focus on our next opponent.”

Gross said he’s looking forward to being at home this weekend.

“We’ll be at home to celebrate our tremendous senior class,” Gross said.

As a senior, Taylor said she’s excited for her final weekend of home games.

“As a team, we’re antsy to improve our record and clinch our spot in the G-MAC tournament,” Taylor said. “This weekend is critical in achieving that goal.”