Sam Catron swings during the Chargers’ second game against Ursuline on Tuesday. (Julia Mullins | Col­legian)

After splitting a dou­ble­header against the Lake Erie College Storm, the Hillsdale College Chargers split their final two home games against the Ursuline College Arrows.

After cel­e­brating Senior Day in their games with Lake Erie, senior out­fielder Katie Kish and senior second baseman Amanda Marra each sur­passed 50 hits this season.

Senior third baseman Jessica Taylor went 7 for 14 at the plate and improved her batting average to .374 and on-base per­centage to .451

In the last couple of weeks, Taylor said she has been stepping into the box with more con­fi­dence by trusting in her prepa­ration.

“My mindset these past few weeks has hon­estly just been: ‘Leave it all out there,’” Taylor said. “I have been playing this game since before I can remember, and my time on the field is coming to a close quickly.”

Throughout the season, Taylor said she has chal­lenged herself by improving her mental approach at the plate.

“Knowing what my job is during each at bat is critical for me,” Taylor said. “For example, with a runner at third, I look for an inside pitch to hit to the right side in order to score her.”

Monday, April 22 (Game 1): Hillsdale 10, Lake Erie 0 (5 innings)

Junior pitcher Dana Wei­dinger pitched a shutout for the Chargers and picked up her sixth win of the season. She allowed just one hit and had six strikeouts.

Wei­dinger said she felt great after the win at home.

“My approach on the mound for Lake Erie was to get batters out,” Wei­dinger said. “I went in with a clear mind and a goal to dom­inate the batters.”

Taylor went two for three at the plate, scoring two runs and one run batted in. Sophomore first baseman Emma Johnson went two for two at the plate. She scored one run and led the Chargers with three runs batted in. Taylor, junior shortstop Sam Catron, sophomore catcher Madison Stoner, and sophomore pitcher Natalie Walters each hit doubles.

Monday, April 22 (Game 2): Lake Erie 5, Hillsdale 4

The Chargers picked up 12 hits, but their offense fell flat in the final three innings of game two. Taylor led Hillsdale, going three for four at the plate, and Johnson went two for three.

Johnson said she tried to keep it simple at the plate.  

“I see a good pitch, and I hit it,” Johnson said.

Kish went two for four, scoring one run and earning one run batted in. Kish, Catron, and Walters all hit doubles. Walters pitched four innings for the Chargers and gave up three runs on five hits. Freshman pitcher Camryn Olson came in for relief and earned her second loss of the season as she gave up one run on three hits. Freshman pitcher Julia Sayles also faced two batters in the top of the seventh inning and gave up one unearned run.

Tuesday, April 23 (Game 1): Hillsdale 5, Ursuline 3

Wei­dinger earned another win in the circle, allowing three runs on five hits in five innings.

Throughout the season, Wei­dinger said she has seen herself grow in the roles as a starting and relief pitcher.

“It was hard at times to stay pos­itive when I would go out and get hit, but I had my team­mates and fellow pitchers behind me cheering me on,” Wei­dinger said. “It’s one of the best feelings knowing your team­mates have your back in the good times and bad times.”

Sayles came in to pitch during the top of the sixth inning and got the save for the Chargers. Marra hit a double and picked up a run batted in. Taylor went one for three at the plate, scoring one run and earning one run batted in. Walters went one for two at the plate and picked up one run and earned two runs batted in.

Tuesday, April 23 (Game 2): Ursuline 9, Hillsdale 8 (8 innings)

Ursuline picked up 17 hits in game two com­pared to Hillsdale’s 13. Catron led the Chargers on offense going three for five at the plate with one run. Stoner went two for three at the plate with two runs batted in. Taylor and junior out­fielder Vic­toria Addis both hit doubles and picked up one run batted in. All four members of Hillsdale’s pitching staff entered the game, but Sayles got her fifth loss of the season. She allowed two runs on five hits in 1.1 innings. Walters started in the circle and allowed four runs on seven hits in 3.2 innings.

Up Next

The Chargers will play their final regular season games on the road beginning Sat­urday, April 27 with two games against Cedarville Uni­versity at 12 and 2 p.m. On Sunday, the Chargers will take on the Uni­versity of Findlay at 12 and 2 p.m.

Wei­dinger said she’s hoping for some big wins this weekend.

“We’ve been hitting the ball really well, and our pitching has been strong this whole season,” Wei­dinger said. “I’m looking forward to seeing our seniors finish out their season on a very high note and for us to enter the con­ference tour­nament ready to take the trophy for the second year in a row.”

Dana Wei­dinger has really come on strong on the pitching mound, she looked really awesome in her last two wins. Now if we can be more con­sistent in our hitting we can position our­selves for a good seed in the GMAC Softball tourney. We have 4 more con­ference games to try and achieve that.