Alanna O’Leary runs over the weekend. (Calli Townsend)

The Hillsdale College Chargers traveled to the Uni­versity of Cincinnati over the weekend for the Oliver Nikoloff Invi­ta­tional. As a team, Hillsdale fin­ished 10th overall among 16 NCAA Division I and II schools, including Cincinnati, Ball State Uni­versity, and Xavier Uni­versity.

In the field, two freshmen set per­sonal bests for Hillsdale. Nikita Maines’ 39.68-meter throw in the hammer throw was the best of her col­le­giate career, and Michaela Burkhauser’s 44.21-meter throw in the discus was also a career-best.

Freshman Alanna O’Leary enjoyed a suc­cessful day in the sprints, as she recorded two new per­sonal bests in the 200 and 400 meter dashes. Her time of 58.64 seconds in the 400 earned her 14th place overall, and in the 200 she bested her pre­vious per­sonal record by half a second in 25.71.

“That was the first time I’ve done both the open four and the open two, so to come out with con­sis­tently better times that what I ran in indoor really boosted my con­fi­dence,” O’Leary said. “It gave me a little bit more excitement for future meets, and also future years.”

That last time junior Abbie Porter com­peted in the 800 meter run was at the NCAA Division II Indoor National meet in early March. On Sat­urday, she came out with a strong start to her outdoor season as she fin­ished fifth in 2:11.01.

“It felt really good because the first 400 was as fast as I’d ever gone through as far an 800 goes, so I was like 62 high, and then I was able to hold that through 600,” Porter said. “The last 200 I kinda ran out of juice, which stinks, but also it was my third fastest time ever, and by far my best opener by seven seconds.”

Two other Chargers had fifth-place fin­ishes in the track. Sophomore Kajsa Johannson fin­ished fifth in the 100 meter dash with a 12.25-second per­for­mance. Sophomore Calli Townsend ran the 400 meter hurdles in 1:03.35 to finish fifth.

This weekend, Hillsdale hosts the Hillsdale Invi­ta­tional on Sat­urday. Field events begin at noon, with track events fol­lowing at 2 p.m.