Alanna O’Leary runs over the weekend. (Calli Townsend)

The Hillsdale College Chargers traveled to the Uni­versity of Cincinnati over the weekend for the Oliver Nikoloff Invi­ta­tional. As a team, Hillsdale fin­ished 10th overall among 16 NCAA Division I and II schools, including Cincinnati, Ball State Uni­versity, and Xavier Uni­versity.

In the field, two freshmen set per­sonal bests for Hillsdale. Nikita Maines’ 39.68-meter throw in the hammer throw was the best of her col­le­giate career, and Michaela Burkhauser’s 44.21-meter throw in the discus was also a career-best.

Freshman Alanna O’Leary enjoyed a suc­cessful day in the sprints, as she recorded two new per­sonal bests in the 200 and 400 meter dashes. Her time of 58.64 seconds in the 400 earned her 14th place overall, and in the 200 she bested her pre­vious per­sonal record by half a second in 25.71.

“That was the first time I’ve done both the open four and the open two, so to come out with con­sis­tently better times that what I ran in indoor really boosted my con­fi­dence,” O’Leary said. “It gave me a little bit more excitement for future meets, and also future years.”

That last time junior Abbie Porter com­peted in the 800 meter run was at the NCAA Division II Indoor National meet in early March. On Sat­urday, she came out with a strong start to her outdoor season as she fin­ished fifth in 2:11.01.

“It felt really good because the first 400 was as fast as I’d ever gone through as far an 800 goes, so I was like 62 high, and then I was able to hold that through 600,” Porter said. “The last 200 I kinda ran out of juice, which stinks, but also it was my third fastest time ever, and by far my best opener by seven seconds.”

Two other Chargers had fifth-place fin­ishes in the track. Sophomore Kajsa Johannson fin­ished fifth in the 100 meter dash with a 12.25-second per­for­mance. Sophomore Calli Townsend ran the 400 meter hurdles in 1:03.35 to finish fifth.

This weekend, Hillsdale hosts the Hillsdale Invi­ta­tional on Sat­urday. Field events begin at noon, with track events fol­lowing at 2 p.m.

Previous articleSenior art exhibit highlights ordinary beauty
Next articleThe Weekly: Give your time to the community
Nathan is a junior at Hillsdale College studying Rhetoric and Public Address and Journalism. He is Sports Editor and beat reporter for the Football, Women's Basketball, and Baseball teams for the Hillsdale Collegian. When he's not watching or writing about sports, Nathan enjoys playing organ and singing. Originally from St. Louis Missouri, Nathan now lives in Fort Wayne, Indiana. You can follow Nathan on twitter @nategrime or Hillsdale Collegian Sports at @HDaleSports.