Sophomore Logan Anuszkiewicz hits a wedge into the green at the G-MAC Fall Invi­ta­tional in Sep­tember. (John Quint, Courtesy)

At the Uni­versity Club of Ken­tucky, the Hillsdale College Chargers found them­selves in third place at the end of the G-MAC Cham­pi­onship April 19 – 20. With a team score of 36-over-par, the Chargers were eight behind second place Findlay and 19 behind the winning Trevecca Nazarene after the 54-hole tour­nament.

After enjoying success earlier in the season with a tour­nament win at the Music City Invi­ta­tional in Nashville, the Chargers couldn’t reach the same suc­cesses in the final tour­nament of the season.

Junior Ryan Zetwick said the first round 10-over-par fol­lowed by a second round 21-over-par all but took the team out of con­tention.

“Unfor­tu­nately, we got off to a bad start the first day and were too far behind to recover,” Zetwick said. “The con­di­tions were bad and that only added to the tough scoring.”

In junior George Roberts’ take of it, the wet con­di­tions in the second round pre­sented dif­ficult chal­lenges that the Chargers were unable to overcome.

“In the second round the heavens opened,” Roberts said. “My hands were slipping; it was mis­erable.”

Senior Liam Purslowe and Zetwick drove the Chargers, fin­ishing tied-eighth indi­vid­ually at eight-over-par. Freshman Josh Dav­enport fin­ished behind them at 12-over, fol­lowed by Roberts (+14), and sophomore Logan Anuszkiewicz (+26).

Despite a rocky start, Zetwick said there are still pos­i­tives to take from the tour­nament and the season which may come to an end if the Chargers don’t qualify for the NCAA tour­nament.

“I think as a team we have a lot to be proud of this season, we won our first two tour­na­ments in program history and hope­fully will qualify for the Super Regionals,” Zetwick said. “While we would have liked to have won this week, the outcome shouldn’t hurt us and is some­thing to learn from moving forward.”

On the final day, the Chargers shot the second-lowest team score of the tour­nament, which moved them up to third place. To Roberts, the team’s per­for­mance on the third day was excep­tional, even if not enough.

“Third round we gave it a go-to claim some spots; unfor­tu­nately, we couldn’t make up the dif­ference for a second round — only enough for third,” Roberts said. “A shame, as we know, we should have taken the title with the form we came in on.”