Chargers finish seventh at Greyhound Invitational

Home Charger Golf Chargers finish seventh at Greyhound Invitational
Logan Anuszkiewicz chips at last fall’s G-MAC Invitational (John Quint, Courtesy)

By the end of the third round on Tuesday, the Hillsdale College Chargers had climbed eight spots on the leaderboard from where they began at the beginning of the day Monday, but still finished seventh at the Greyhound Invitational at Purgatory Golf Club in Noblesville, Indiana.

Freshman Josh Davenport led the team, shooting three-under-par, and tied for third individually. Behind him was senior Liam Purslowe, who shot two-over in the tournament. The Chargers finished the event with a combined 20-over-par.

As a team, Hillsdale got behind on the board early, shooting a combined score of 305, 23 strokes behind first-round leader Ferris State University. Ferris State captures first place in the three-day tournament, 17 strokes ahead of second-place University of Indianapolis.

Every Charger found ways to improve after the tough first day, which Purslowe attributed to the difference in greens compared to last week in Tennessee.

“The pins were set in tough places on much more sloped greens,” Purslowe said. “After figuring out where to miss and where not to I think we all played much better after round one.”

Junior Ryan Zetwick shot eight-over in the tournament, and junior George Roberts shot 16-over. Sophomore Logan Anuszkiewicz rounded out Hillsdale’s scorecard with a 21-over performance.

Purslowe said the difference in green speeds and pin placements was the only significant factor that prevented them from having the same success as the week before when the Chargers won the Music City Invitational in Nashville, Tennessee.

“Our ball striking was just as good as the week prior, if not better – we just need to be better on the greens by adjusting quicker,” Purslowe said. “That’s what the best teams are able to do week in week out.”

The Chargers will have a week and a half off to prepare for the G-MAC Championships on April 19 and 20.